Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: photos on plastic

Paul,

Here`s a few quick hype-links to some of suppliers for what you`r looking for. I hope you find this helpful.

United States Plastic Corp - Delrin White Sheet Goods

Professional Plastics

As for the Corian, the best advice I can offer is to check around your local area for a distributer (dealer). you might find the Du Pont website helpful in locating one in your area. The 1/4 inch is mostly used as a wall covering in bathrooms and does not require the "training", as does the 1/2 stock.
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"-Thomas Jefferson

Wink Cost of Delrin & Corian

Paul
    1/4" Corian runs around $4-5 square Ft and 1/8" Delrin around $8-9 square Ft. I buy my Delrin at McMasterCarr,com and have bought Corian on e-bay. There is some Corian on e-bay now - 8 sheets for $42 (1 square Ft each). Cost is reasonable as most Photo carvings are 8' x 10" or less in size.

Bob

a couple of things to think about

corian is a brand only supplied by dupont but there are others out there just like them but not as well known.

the one I get from my local kitchen guy is staron

they usually have small pieces that are cut offs so stop by and ask them if they can spare some.

solid colors especially white is better than speckled.

as far as lexan or plexi you do not need to go deep at all as long as the whole carving goes below the surface so it is all frosted (even if there are small areas that did not go in just scuff them in the same direction as carving and they will not be able to tell). this is the most common material I use and it gives great quality and detail.

good luck
    Tim
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Default Thanks

just want to say thanks fo the info.

Still waiting for my CC.
    Hope to have it by next weekend. Already have too many things I want to try. Sure wish working didn't interupt play so much.

Default Backlighting of plastics

What is the best backlighting technique for photo engravings in plastics? Say a 24" x 12" wooden framed picture box?

I would look into cold cathode lights. These are big in the pc modding scene. Here is one example. Dual Cold Cathode $9.99
    These run off 12v DC, so you will need to get a small transformer. They also make them in 6" length, just have to search the net.

for a 24x12 area, I would probably recommend 4 tubes. They are bright, but you need all the light you can to backlight a litho.

Default LED light

You might want to check out a LED light from Lowes. It cost a bit more ($16.00) but for smaller sized boxes works great. It has 20 white LED's in it, and is meant for accent lighting under kitchen cabinets.
    I 'm working with one in a 7 inch by 6 inch box, and the lighting is uniform throughout. It's shaped like a small dome, so it spreads the light out fairly well. It also runs real cool, and you don't need a power supply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED.gif  

8. Default

I am interested in learning how to do the carving on plasict (corian). I have an excellent camera but have a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give me tips on how to get started. Will I need Photoshop? If interested in helping, please email me at btalala@totelcsi.com. Would really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog1953 View Post
    I am interested in learning how to do the carving on plasict (corian). I have an excellent camera but have a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give me tips on how to get started. Will I need Photoshop? If interested in helping, please email me at btalala@totelcsi.com. Would really appreciate it.
    Have you looked at tips and tricks area?
    ISSUE 16 January 2009 – Lithopane (Lithophane) Carving 10
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...icks_Jan09.pdf

I posted a few pics on photobucket of my first lithopane box using LED's that I purchased off eBay. This may give you some ideas and I will up date the site here soon showing my latest lay out of LED's.....no heat and the low voltage makes it safe around kids and pets.
    http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Lithopanes/

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast