Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat project

Default Boat project

Recently I got a '72 Starcraft for my daughter and I to go fishing in. The radio in it was dead so I opted to put a new one in- and well I was not very happy with the dash board. So.....

I'm replacing both sides of the dash- today was the easy one over the next few days I'll get around to doing a mirror image of the bass I got from CarveBuddy - unless anyone has a really nice catfish out there!

Happy Carving!!

Julie and Tara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat111.jpg   boat91.jpg   dash1.jpg   julie_tara_sm.jpg  

Last edited by Julie Coffey; 06-05-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    "Today I am becoming who I once dreamed to be."

Julie,

You did a fantastic job. Looks great!

PS - If there's a bunch of folks that could use a catfish pattern - we'll make one, by golly!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Dang Ya, you`s ask`n a bit there, ain`t ya ?

Needless to say, it`s a mighty fine thought ya got with it. "Imagination", is a wonderful thing. Need I emphasize, That`s what it`s all about ?

Who really knows? Next thing "we`ll have men on the moon". Kind`a odd when ya take the time realize that the "ladys", more then likely understand these things more then some of us do. (that one ya`ll Have to read twice).

It`s still a great job, "thinking outside the box".. IMO.
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"-Thomas Jefferson

Good job... but I would have used Teak to take the weather better.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

If I could have gotten my hands on it I probably would have but thats ok- I saved the design so I can redo it when the opprotunity presents itself OR I add more bells and whistles to the boat.

J
    CWM
    "Today I am becoming who I once dreamed to be."

Nice custom job. Teak and boats go together well. I am experimenting with Lyptus for exterior use as well.
    You got me thinking on re-doing the dash in my ski boat.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    Nice custom job. Teak and boats go together well. I am experimenting with Lyptus for exterior use as well.
    You got me thinking on re-doing the dash in my ski boat.
    Thanks for the Lyptus link. I assumed that because eucalyptus grows so quickly it would be a rather open grained wood, even though classified as a "hardwood".
    I'll watch out for your comments on it when you've had a chance to fully try it out.
    John

Question Lypmus

Gman
    I was at a wood show one time and there was a fellow turning some wood that smelled a lot like Vicks Vapo rub or something simalar to that when I asked him what it was I could have sworen he told me Lypmus. Did he tell me the right wood or was he wrong and in fact something else, Or was it just because it was green. This guy only liked turning green wood.

Default lyptus follow up.

I was just checking on line and found that Lyptus is close grained and is compaired to maple as far as hardness I used Wilkepedia for all my answers. I would post the link but was not sure how,
    They showed a picture of some Purpleheart Maple and Lyptus edge glued together and it was beautiful looking. Just have to find out where to get it Weyhauser is the only importer at this time I think.
    By the way great job Julie on the project.

oldjoe,

Next time try high lighting just the part that you want, then copy and paste in your post. Most times it works.

Properties
    Lyptus has mechanical properties similar to many hardwoods, and is most often compared to maple. It is a closed-grain wood, and is harder than oak. The high hardness and closed grain structure make it popular for cabinetry, millwork and flooring. The coloration varies from a light salmon to a deeper red. With exposure to UV light, the pigments darken slightly
    Workability
    Though lyptus is largely marketed as a viable alternative to mahogany, it is much harder to work with. The density of lyptus makes it extremely heavy. It also doesn't machine very well as compared to the majority of commonly used hardwoods in cabinetry, millwork and flooring. While handling this material, the worker tends to be quite vulnerable to splinters, more than with most hardwoods. Most of the saved cost in choosing lyptus over other common hardwoods can be made up for in the extra labor required to move the material, and later repair tear-out due to poor machining.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast