Thread: Gray scale??

Question Gray scale??

I have a 4" diameter multi-color (glossy) window sticker that I want to make into a pattern so I can carve a 20" plaque for our next military reunion and I don't understand this gray scale conversion stuff at all. Can someone point me to where I might find out how/why it's done. Does it require special software or scanning? I'm using Designer 2.007.

Thanks

Can you scan it? Or take a picture (zoomed in from far away) and post it so we can have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Can you scan it? Or take a picture (zoomed in from far away) and post it so we can have a look.
    Printer said it was scanned at medium resolution - will this do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0001.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	75132

Look what I found. This will provide a cleaner start. I am sure BJB can make something from this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pleniku air base.JPG  

Look what I found. This will provide a cleaner start. I am sure BJB can make something from this.
    WOW - Where did you find it,on the Pleiku website? Thanks!

Is there info anywhere on how to improve JPG pictures to improve quality? That's what the gray scale is for isn't it? I'd like to learn a little (I think!!).

Have a nice evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    I have a 4" diameter multi-color (glossy) window sticker that I want to make into a pattern so I can carve a 20" plaque for our next military reunion and I don't understand this gray scale conversion stuff at all. Can someone point me to where I might find out how/why it's done. Does it require special software or scanning? I'm using Designer 2.007.

Thanks
    Will this work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pleniku%20air%20base_DISP-cw.PNG   Pleniku%20air%20base_DISP.bmp  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    I don't understand this gray scale conversion stuff at all. Can someone point me to where I might find out how/why it's done. Does it require special software or scanning?
    BJB uses a program called Shadermap. It is really good at converting graphics to gray scale. BJB is really good at using it. It is an inexpensive program which you should try if you want to play with converting things to gray scales.

I just found the graphic on the web. Goggled the name and displayed as images to find it.

BJB uses a program called Shadermap. It is really good at converting graphics to gray scale. BJB is really good at using it. It is an inexpensive program which you should try if you want to play with converting things to gray scales.

I just found the graphic on the web. Goggled the name and displayed as images to find it.
    Thanks to both of you - I tried the web search too but didn't come up with anything as good - may not have used Google though.