Thread: Dented flex shaft tabs????

1. Default Dented flex shaft tabs????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flex Shaft 2.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	74915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flex Shaft.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	74916I posted yesterday that I was having problems with my flex shaft core rattling very loud causing it to overheat and burn a portion of the outer sheath. Was told by LHR to ensure it was seated correctly into the motor, since they can be jarred loose during shipping, which I did, and in the mean time noticed the retaining screw was stripped. Contacted LHR today to ensure it was fine to run it with the screw stripped and they said it would be fine as long as the screw did not indent the tabs on the shaft that insert into the motor. Go figure, you can see indents from where the screw was cranked down on one of the tabs. I only have 25 hours on the machine and am very frustrated at this point due to not being able to complete a carve without having to stop it because the flex shaft core rattles out of control. Any idea why LHR would be concerned with an indent from the screw? Should I be looking to purchase another flex shaft or is there something anyone on here would recommend trying next. Unable to talk to LHR due to them being closed, just looking for advice in the mean time. Thanks.

I cannot see why the small dent would make any difference. Maybe they are thinking about a dent which deforms the flatness of the end and causes the flex to be crooked. Your dent does not seem to me to of any significance at all.

3. Default

I agree, at this point I am at a loss. The flex shaft is seated correctly on both ends and obviously lubed due to only having 25 hours and they lube them before shipping. Unfortunately it seems as if I have to replace the flex shaft and pray it is a good one. Wish I could at least identify the problem so I could prevent it in the future. I am concerned though that my retaining screw will not tighten on the flex shaft end due to being stripped (before I received it), I believe it may be the reason since the shaft is unable to maintain the correct alignment without the pressure from the screw.

No point in even trying to run the machine if you cannot keep the flex aligned.

My hubby says, that if he remembers correctly, that there were 2 "stops" on the way to seating the sheath at the motor end. Did it go all the way in before you twisted it to lock down?

My first option, since the screw is stripped out, that LHR replace the sheath (and/or the shaft). Did you get the warrantee? If you did not, and want to tap in a new screw size, I have a sheath I would sell for the cost of shipping it. Unlike LHR, it will be a if-it-fits-it-ships box .

I believe that screw is only to stop the sheath from spinning out through the "key", did you see that is came out from the motor end?

Do not presume that since it is new, that there can't be a problem with the factory lube. More than a few posts with new shafts that need lubrication due to excessive heat. Once you have it replaced/problem solved in some other way, monitor the heat with a point and shoot thermometer for the first few projects.
    Last edited by DianMayfield; 03-10-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: addition

6. Default

I did buy the warranty ($500) and will be calling them first thing in the morning. I am positive I reseated it correctly after taking it out to fix the problem, not convinced it was seated correctly when I received it. Just noticed also that the epoxy on the motor side of the sheath in old looking/crusted and the "seal" is broke. When I originally took off the back of the machine to get to the motor side of the flex shaft I noticed immediately that in rotated without me ever unloosening the screw. Which brings me back to thinking I need the screw to keep the shaft seated correctly. I will go back in the shop now to ensure I am seating it fully for good measure but it has been done a dozen times now, just in case though.