Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacking tool paths and using "Inset" for finish pass

Yes- the description you just mentioned is exactly what I see also. I went back and looked at my old cutouts and they have an edge closer to a Route. So, it appears as if something happended to the sofware.
    I jumped from 1.134 straight to 1.186 so I have no way to go back.
    Does anyone have a "hotline" to someone at Carvewright? Or- has anyone figured this out already and jumped back to older firmware?
    Thanks, John

I tried 1.184 firmware and it was the same. I cannot go back any further than that.

It is good to hear someone else is having cut path stepping. I would think it convenient if the cut path depth steps were offset by the inset value and the final cut was on the mark. We could get a smoother finish cut without separate paths. I thought it was my bearings but after replacement and maintenance, the cut-out stepping continued. I also wish I could see where the tabs were going to come out and have the ability to move them to where I want them. Sometimes they come out in a place that makes cleaning them up harder. I hope that a software fix is the answer!

OK, I have filled out the online form and asked for software support on the issue. I referred them to this post for more details of what we are seeing so this would be a good time for any additional info to be added. If I get any feedback that they do not post in this thread, I will add it.
    Since I use the machine for Cut Paths, and now they are so rough, it is basically unusable. I have added an additional picture. "Route" is on the left, "Cut Path" is on the right.
    I would still like to know if someone has a software version that does not have this issue that could be sent or posted. Thanks, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1899.JPG  

Default Looks like a Bug

Confirmed. I just booted on an old hard drive and used version 1.179. Created a circle cut path and with the 1.179 firmware it cut smooth as silk.

So some version between 1.179 and 1.183 has changed the code which calculates x position.

Nice catch heftyh, I thought it was my machine.

I also thought it was my machine great catch
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

This got me curious and I have not noticed any difference in Cut Path quality, so I went out to the workshop and looked at a few scraps leftover from some recent Projects of the Month. I do not see the 'chattering' on any of the cutouts. I do see the 'watermarks' from using Max. Pass setting of 0.3" (which is why I prefer full-depth cutouts whenever practical), but not the scalloped edges like what you showed.

One thing I would like to see as an option for Cut Paths is a spiral ramp feature. I use that all the time on my ShopBot. The way it works is the bit starts the cutout by gradually ramping into the cut (just like the CarveWright does at the start of a cutout) but it continues to gradually ramp down in depth as the bit travels around the cutout until it completes the full depth of the cut. This method results in little to no visible 'watermarking' on the board edge, and is gentle on the bit.

So, it's a mystery why some of you are getting the scalloped edges. I'm not aware of any software change that would cause this, but perhaps LHR can comment and shed some more light on this.

EDIT: Are you all using the CarveTight Chuck?...or something else? Bit runout would cause those scalloped issues. But, in view of Bergerud's test, that's probably not it...I guess.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Here is the test. The mpc is simply a circle cut out. The project was loaded from Designer 1.186 to one of two cards. One card has firmware 1.179 and the other has firmware 1.186.

http://youtu.be/oL1htq-ODNU

http://youtu.be/a4vXkhS_s7I

As a temporary fix heftyh, here is the 1.179 control firmware. If you unzip it and put it in the carvewright program folder, you can choose to upload it onto your card in the flash manager.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Here is the test. The mpc is simply a circle cut out. The project was loaded from Designer 1.186 to one of two cards. One card has firmware 1.179 and the other has firmware 1.186.

http://youtu.be/oL1htq-ODNU

http://youtu.be/a4vXkhS_s7I

As a temporary fix heftyh, here is the 1.179 control firmware. If you unzip it and put it in the carvewright program folder, you can choose to upload it onto your card in the flash manager.

Thank you for the video. It shows the jerking my machine has been experiencing. I broke 4 1/8 cutout bits and a 3/16 last year. I have never broken them in the 2+ years previous. I hope it is an issue that can be addressed soon. Maybe I will roll back version to 1.179 on the next carve to see what happens. Thanks again!

FYI - I have carve tights on both machines....
    Last edited by SteveJ; 01-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Bergerud, I installed 1.179 on the machine and confirmed that it was there by checking the Options menu. However, when I ran the file again, it did the same thing- rough cut path. The cut path was also jerky just like in your video of the 1.186 firmware. Not sure if I did something wrong but I am going to reformat the card and try again. The fact that it works on yours means I do not have something right. This is first time I have only tried to change just the firmware.
    Question: Did you just change the firmware on your machine or did you jump back to Designer 1.179? I think the tool path math would be in Designer since it is writing the code going to the card. If this is the case, can you post Designer 1.179?

Michael T- I installed the Rock Chuck many years ago. The drivetrain is stable as shown in by the smooth "Route" in my picture. Thanks, John
    Last edited by heftyh; 01-06-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added question about version of Designer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast