Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do when it's to hot outside....

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Attachment 55883Attachment 55884Attachment 55885Well, the weather is changing and fall is in the air. We are still inundated with wild fire smoke so spent a few days indoors trying to catch up on projects. Here are the three Halloween projects painted.
    Beautiful work kid! Halloween is my favorite holiday. I have a garage full of anamatronic witches, skeltetons and ghosts waiting to be setup. Looking out of my office window I see a blurry haze of smoke also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040A.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	55888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0039A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	55887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	55886Terry if you like Halloween you should come down to our family pumpkin carving contest....it gets wilder each year. Competition runs so wild even the grandson in Fairbanks, AK and great-grandchildren in AZ does pumpkins and sends pictures so they can be in the contest. But tonight I thought I'd share a couple pictures of the smoke from the 5,000+ acrea fire that is blanketing the area.

Pretty scary, just looking at that smoke. What is it you like about that area so much, again? If it get's too bad, or you just need a break, this may be a good time to take me up on that invitation to come up for a visit. We are having a carvers meeting next week, too. Of course, if you came up, we'd call a special meeting for the occasion. Heck, we'd probably have a barbecue! What about it Tom, Stan and Shane? You'd come over for a party if Sharon came up, wouldn't you? (Shane, you could bring the kids.)
    Pam

Even though it was caused by a fire, those are beautiful settings. How far are they from you.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

It has been very smokey here for a couple of weeks. We have active fires of 30,000 and 32,000 acres, plus smaller ones that don't get in to the news. I'm about ready for fall rains and getting back in the carving mode...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greer smoke.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	55915 This is a view from the Greer, Idaho bridge yesterday - 16 miles from my house. It's not much better up here out of the valley. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheep fire.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	55916 The Sheep fire near Lucille, ID
    -Colleen

6. Default

Hi Colleen, That is a lot of smoke. Before I re-retired, I would be sent to the Weippe area about twice a year for a couple of days each job. Beautiful country. Won't you be getting snow before too long or are you at the bottom of the grade?
    Last edited by TerryT; 09-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.

I'm up 'on the hill' - just a couple miles from town. Now Terry has me curious what would bring him to this little town! This was my first summer of freedom - I'm loving retirement! I spent 32 years fighting fires - from ground pounding to dispatching to setting up computer systems for incident management teams. It's sure been nice not to be 'on call' - I know how busy this summer has been.
    -Colleen

I think we would all be happy to see a change in the weather that put all these fires out. Fires make for some dramatic pictures but they do so much damage. And just look at all the good carving wood they are burning up before I can even get it into my machine to make sawdust out of.

Beautiful job on all your projects. Keep the projects coming
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by crfahy View Post
    I'm up 'on the hill' - just a couple miles from town. Now Terry has me curious what would bring him to this little town! This was my first summer of freedom - I'm loving retirement! I spent 32 years fighting fires - from ground pounding to dispatching to setting up computer systems for incident management teams. It's sure been nice not to be 'on call' - I know how busy this summer has been.
    Sounds like a lot of excitement. The summer that I was 16 was spent fighting forrest fires in northern Idaho. I spent most of the summer training and on the Hughes Ridge and Trapper Creek fires. A couple of guys died on the Trapper Creek fire. It was a bad one. I heard (not sure if it was true) that the fire was crowning 1 mile ahead of its self and setting spot fires as far as 10 miles ahead. That pretty much bankrupted the state. It was several months latter that I finally got paid. Those memories will never fade. I still can taste a little ash in my morning coffee! LOL
    Last edited by TerryT; 09-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123