Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware ... 1.185 update

Default Beware ... 1.185 update

I just updated and everything is gone! All my mpcs, patterns, vector art, everything I've done for the past 3 years is gone! I updated just as every other time, save it in the same location, etc. This update, replaced the entire Carvewright folder I had with a new version, evidently erasing everything I had. I tried a System Restore, and it only brought back the folders, all empty.

I've been frustrated with the machine before, but if I've really lost everything from the software, this may be the last straw. I'm waiting on customer support to open this morning, depending on what they say, I don't know if I want to continue with this system any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by chevytrucking View Post
    I just updated and everything is gone! All my mpcs, patterns, vector art, everything I've done for the past 3 years is gone! I updated just as every other time, save it in the same location, etc. This update, replaced the entire Carvewright folder I had with a new version, evidently erasing everything I had. I tried a System Restore, and it only brought back the folders, all empty.

I've been frustrated with the machine before, but if I've really lost everything from the software, this may be the last straw. I'm waiting on customer support to open this morning, depending on what they say, I don't know if I want to continue with this system any longer.
    That's very odd...I have installed seven Beta versions of the 1.185 version, as well as installing the public release version just yesterday. All of my folders, patterns and mpc's, etc. have remained intact - no problems at all.

Hopefully, Tech Support can help you get everything restored and shed some light on what may have happened at your end. As mentioned in the post above, you can always restore everything from your backup files, as a last resort. At the moment, I don't see how the update could have "erased" your files, though.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

4. Default

The only problem I have noticed so far is that it deleted my default wood, changing it from cherry to just plain white. It deleted the cherry and I had to restore it from backups. I haven't noticed anything else so far. I do not use the Carvewright folder to store mpc's or ptn's so I haven't had a problem there.

My problem is I updated to 185 had to register again was ok,, today had redownload again the new software again an registered again seem ok now hope it can stay that way hope there no glich in it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I talked to tech support. Basically, they say it's all my fault and yes it's all lost. I had everything saved in the Carvewright folder, the actual program, my personal stuff, my backups, etc. and the update this time replaced the entire folder. They say, you have to keep pattern files, mpcs, backups, etc. somewhere separate, like in your documents and settings profile. Funny, never mattered on previous updates, I've updated the exact same way every time. I'm just about done with this thing, I've lost hundreds of patterns, hundreds of mpc's, even hundreds of just plain pictures I'd saved for ideas on future projects. When it's this much hassle, it takes the fun out of it.
    Last edited by chevytrucking; 08-14-2012 at 10:41 AM.

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

As a last resort, you can always try a recovery (undelete) tool. I've used "recuva" sometimes.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Me too Michael! I've had no problems at all.
    Steve

Lost all mine as well ugh
    Joe

It is generally never a good idea to keep your data mixed in with a programs data. Not only does the programs installer/updater not know that it is there but it is also much harder to back up. If you keep all of your data under 'My Documents' then you only have to backup your 'My Documents' folder and all of your stuff is safe.

For the past few years I have been using Windows Home Server. All of my PCs are automatically backed up to the server and I have a program running on the server that automatically backs up the important things off-site. This off site backup is only about $60/year for 150GB. If you mainly use one PC than you could just have the off-site backup of that PC. I use IDrive for this but there are several other alternatives.

One other idea to recover your lost data. If you are using a newer operating system a restore point will have been created before the new software was installed. You may be able to roll back to that restore point and have all of your data back.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast