Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Made in China

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Glad to hear it is working out. Stuff like that can be frustrating but shouldn't spoil the fun. I hope you enjoy your machine for a long, long time.
    Just got it late Wed. night and haven't even turned it on. With a family death and my junky little handyman job, I've been a little busy the last few days. At least my shop is air conditioned and comfortable in these 90 degree and high humidity days.

2. Default

Sorry to hear about your family. Boy do I know how that feels. My shop has air also, we have been flirting with 100 degree days. I was supposed to do a 3 day festival and craft show this weekend but we also had a family emergency (actually two at last count). But I did get a lot of stuff made for the next fair.

You will enjoy using your machine. It's one of those things that.. the more you learn the more fun so you try more, learn more and have even MORE fun.

I can't help but feel badly for a CW owner when things don't seem to go as smoothly as we all hope it would. With the help of LHR and the collective members of this forum, we can usually get a user on track and enjoying his/her machine. Our personalities differ, and we all have our own way of handling disappointment or any bumps in the road. I'm going to try to do better at understanding where a person is comin' from. If a user has had less than an enjoyable experience owning a CW machine, I know we all want to turn that around as quickly as possible.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie.

Not Michael, but it sounds like the 7" rule, and scale to size. I always make sure the board is 7+" longer than the board in designer, and the width is always a little wider than the board in designer. Then always choose NO to any scaling question. Other will give you more details I am sure.
    If your board is 10 x 8 in designer make the actual board 17 plus. I like to make it at least 7.5 or 8" longer. On the width, measuring it with a tape may give you say 8" width, but the machine may read it as 7.9 or 8.1. Thus giving it extra helps eliminate the load new board issue, and as I said always tell it no to any scaling.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie.
    This manual (pages 28 & 29) shows part of the workpiece preparation.
    I think you have not mastered the (+) 7 inch rule. If you reply to Stay-under-rollers, the unit expects to see a board at least 7" longer than your design board. If it does not, it will ask if you wish to "Scale to the board". if you select to do so, the machine will change the carve accordingly. If you do not wish to scale down your project, you will need to use a different board for this MPC (project).
    There is more, but I'll leave that for another time.

Manual link: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...ual_A-B_SN.pdf
    Last edited by AskBud; 07-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

What were your Demsions. Did the machine state the board measure _____________ and adjust the size down.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

8. Default

I'm sure Michael will respond also but my first guess is your board (real) was not 7 inches longer than the virtual board. The 7 inches is the distance between rollers. THEN you probably said yes when the machine asked if you wanted to stay under the rollers so the machine scaled down your pattern so it could keep the board within the 7 inches between rollers.

Make your board 7 inches longer than what is in designer and say No to staying under the rollers.

Mastered the 7" rule. Heck this was my first so I ain't mastered anything. Guess that was my problem, my board wasn't 7 inches longer than the project dimensions.

Mastered the 7" rule. Heck this was my first so I ain't mastered anything. Guess that was my problem, my board wasn't 7 inches longer than the project dimensions.
    Any time your machine asks or tells you something,step back and think about the message/selection before you continue. Do not push the button until you are sure!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast