Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Too thick to cut through" with sled

I keep getting to thick to cut out also, but have just hit continue and have
    had no problems on four projects. This message appeared after up dating to
    1.164 and using sleds.
    Dan

Check your project board thickness it can not be deeper than 1" to work.
    One of my mandolin parts is using "cut control tabs" with the same sled thickness yours is using. it will ask you to use the project or the board " this is not new to 1.164 but now it works at least the way i make sleds.. not sure how you build them though.

My project is set to .79". also the bit will need to land on some wood level to the top.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 06-08-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Project board thickness is .75" in my case.

I ran a part about 30 mins ago and was able to use cut control with a sled... I just needed to hit "continue" like Termite said. When using the v60 you would choose project.

I have a idea whats going on with your MPC and it could be a merge setting
    that is forcing the depth of a raster below the max depth although I have to look at it.

Edit: I looked at your MPC and do not see a issue odd it should work, I guessing that its a sled issue?
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 06-09-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Okay, I think I got this figured out.

If the project is greater than 1/2 inch, (programmed in software), then the software is basically stating "Hey, you already meet the minimum thickness reguirements, so you don't need a sled" and it throws up the "board too thick to cut message.

If your designed project, (programmed in software), is less than 1/2 an inch, you will be prompted to but to either project or board.

If I read the information in this thread correct, your material is 3/4 of an inch, and your sled is a half inch, correct?
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by atauer View Post
    Okay, I think I got this figured out.

If the project is greater than 1/2 inch, (programmed in software), then the software is basically stating "Hey, you already meet the minimum thickness reguirements, so you don't need a sled" and it throws up the "board too thick to cut message.

If your designed project, (programmed in software), is less than 1/2 an inch, you will be prompted to but to either project or board....
    Hi Alex,

What you described does sound familiar, but I'm not absolutely sure this hasn't been addressed already. Ask the programmers to be sure...if it is still throwing the "false" error, then it probably should be looked at by the programmers to figure out a way to avoid confusion at the user-end.

There are occasions when a 1/2" thick board would indeed be used with a sled. For example, if I am using an expensive/exotic wood that is 1/2" thick, then yes, it certainly meets the machine's minimum thickness requirement, and if the board is large enough, I would not need a sled. BUT, I am going to want to use a sled or carrier board to avoid wasting 7" of that pricey wood so the project will stay under the rollers.

So, even though my wood might indeed be 1/2" thick, it may be too small (length and/or width-wise) to stay under the rollers, hence the necessity to use a sled or carrier board. The "too thick to cut through" error flag should probably just be replaced with the "project" or "board" thickness option in a case like this. Does that make sense?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

That explanation was given to me by one of the engineers. And what you are stating makes absolute sense, as I am on the same brain wavelength as you on this one.

Maybe one of the engineers can hop on here and take a crack at a better answer.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    For example, if I am using an expensive/exotic wood that is 1/2" thick, then yes, it certainly meets the machine's minimum thickness requirement, and if the board is large enough, I would not need a sled. BUT, I am going to want to use a sled or carrier board to avoid wasting 7" of that pricey wood so the project will stay under the rollers.
    That is my situation. I don't want to waste my 3/4" thick board, so I'm using a sled. The project board thickness is set to 3/4" so that the cut out will be 3/4". I don't want to cut deeper than that even if the machine were capable because I don't want to cut the sled, and I want the tabs in the project board. The machine apparently measures total thickness at 1.25", then throws the message, despite the project thickness of 3/4". Something changed, because when I ran this kind of project before, I did not get this message. I did get a message to enter board thickness.

Has this problem been solved yet? I know it has not with my machine! If anyone else is still having this problem and using 1.164, do me a favor and at startup measure board thickness with your project on a sled.

I can put a .75 board in the machine and do this it comes up with the right measurement, take it out and put a sled in and the measurement comes up 5.000 thick. either someting wrong with machine or wrong with software IMHO!
    John
    version 1.164

John no problem I use sleds all the time and have no issues. Anything over 1" will read and report back to 5" Max size"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast