Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Had my first fire today.

Yes there is two plastic gears. One in the center under the burnt area and another just to the right facing the cover.

Yep. That's my problem. The plastic gear cover is melted. How do you remove it?

Jeff

The plastic cover just snaps off. Pry it up and it will come off. It may have some silicone sealer holding it.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure because everything is melted together. I'll go try again. Thanks for the help. I'll get some more photos shortly.

Jeff

Looks like it melted one of the gears too. It looks like it's just a c-clip to change them. Is that all there is to it? Also there is a black plastic piece over the gear shaft that is slightly melted. Do you know what that's called and if it's necessary?

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2020.JPG   DSCF2021.JPG   DSCF2022.JPG   DSCF2023.JPG  

I have a smoke detector above my machine. It went off 2 years ago while I was carving and I was just outside on the deck. I had Kinked the Flex Shaft Spring doing maintenance.... The outside of the flex was smoking black...

They make smoke detectors with a set of alarm contacts. When I get my final setup in the wood shop I will have the smoke detector go to a relay and 1. turn on a HORN in my shop and 2. Be wired into the cover switch so it stops the machine. Next I have a Current activated switch that the CW will be plugged into that will be hooked to the dust collector so when the cut motor stops so does the dust collector.... That will help at bit change too.... Now my blower keeps running.

They sell the I switch for Routers to turn on Dust collection.

Access the X Motor from the bottom.... Make sure you unplug the unit as the wires are exposed at the switch with the cover off.

How did the carving come out?

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03670_WEB.jpg   DSC05652_WEB.jpg   DSC05655_WEB.jpg   DSC05691_WEB.jpg  

DSC05689_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Fire

Quote Originally Posted by jeff412 View Post
    Looks like it melted one of the gears too. It looks like it's just a c-clip to change them. Is that all there is to it? Also there is a black plastic piece over the gear shaft that is slightly melted. Do you know what that's called and if it's necessary?

Jeff
    With that much damage, I would want to have the unit repaired by LHR. It may be a total loss.

I would think that your home insurance might cover most of the cost as it was accidental. Who knows!!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Yes, the C Clip is used to remove the gear. You can do it one of 2 ways... The Hard Way.... Remove the X Motor at the same time as the gear... When replacing it this way know that you need to push the motor into place at the SAME time as the gear.... One or the other first and it will not fit.. OR.... Do like many of us have... Take a grinder and cut the lower plastic to remove the gear easily. Just seal it with tape later....

Don't know what the officially name is for the cover over the X Gear Box... But there is a list of parts here, ASK BUD would know.... I don't pay much attention to it... It will be a LHR part.... Dust Cover....

Any idea what the source was of the fire..... Any METAL in the wood? That caused sparking?

How did the carving come out? Any burn on the carving?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeff412 View Post

Jeff
    From what I see you need the X gears and the X gear cover. The thing that concerns me is why. I wouldn't think that those gears would turn fast enough to cause that much friction.

I would also pull the bottom cover. 12 screws just to make sure.

Don't forget to unplug.
    Last edited by PCW; 03-12-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast