Thread: boat anchor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I delted all posts that involved name calling or responses to name calling. Please treat everyone with respect...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Epipheny

Having been a traditional wood carver and woodworker for many years, I sometimes feel like I'm cheating by using my CarveWright and taking credit for beautiful work. But then the light bulb went on! I can still take great pride in "beating the machine" with every finished project. Yeah she can be "high maintenance" but if you treat her right she'll "put out" for ya'. Kinda brings back High School memories . . .

Question 1st time users with errors

I bought my unit by a 3rd party. I start a project and it has this on the display Z Axis Staled Error 308. Can anyone help or is there a defult setting on the machine to clear it to factory settings?

Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Thanks for your help! Will try blowing and lubing the machine.

Default rock chuck wow what a difference

hey ron
    just got the rock chuck and all i can say is WOW it may not be the silver bullet but it is a high powered caliber thanks again...PS if you own one of these machines you gota get a rock chuck..

Quote Originally Posted by mfoxworth1 View Post
    hey ron
    just got the rock chuck and all i can say is WOW it may not be the silver bullet but it is a high powered caliber thanks again...PS if you own one of these machines you gota get a rock chuck..
    Hi mfox,
    Thanks for the "wow" you might be suprised at the outcome. I wouldnt count out the "silver bullet" just yet

From the emails i have been getting, i think that once you get things tuned up, you will be in store for hundreds of hours of trouble free carving. I have at least a dozen guys that have told me they have over 500 trouble free hours since changing chucks. many more than that are over 200 hours now.

Thank you for the comments!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    I delted all posts that involved name calling or responses to name calling. Please treat everyone with respect...
    Wow dude I thought I was doing good at taking CW side. Looks like Ill just not try to do that again. You never fail to amaze Jeff just when I think you might be riden right you show me the other side . Not a problem but I will not go out on a limb for it again thanks for making my day I love being Censused esp when I was trying to help.

From now on Ill just stay here in my corner and shut up just is case you are pms s again

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    I must have missed the name calling in this thread and cannot recall if I had posted any msgs here, but I would not have been doing any name calling and doubt that I did. I am now alerted to the deleting of msgs, which is your job, Jeff to handle. Thank you for flagging it and I know your job can be difficult at times.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Default I agree 100% with Dick

I too have had my share of problems with the QC, the cover switch and the compression rollers switch, and uneven carvings, and board sensor, and maybe some other stuff.

At one time the QC was stuck for me for two days, while I performed unbelievable atrocities to it, just to get my bit back. It would not snap on bits properly and it would not release them, not even with brute force applied to the release tool.

I realized that there is a nice procedure called RTFM (Read the f...ing manual) that can be extended into reading the PDF files describing different aspects of CC-troubleshooting. It works!

The cover switch could use some clean compressed air now and then, the compression rollers likewise, if you succede in penetrating beneath the rubber covers.

Even the QC behaves like a dream: every time I exchange bit I put a few drops of some CRC-lubricant on the adapter (1/2 inch) or into the hole in the upper on the upside of the adapter (1/4 inch). When I have put the bit in the adapter I always check with my hands that the plastic ring of the QC is tight in the downwards position and that the bit is not moving. Since then I do not even use the QC-tool...

And the uneven carvings were caused by loose Y-truck, also easily amended with a 12mm key, without even disassembling the machine.

OK, for the time being I am stuck with broken gears, but it was an operator fault.

What I'm trying to say: you need to do a lot of reading in order to use the machine properly. You know, it's like an automobile... Nowadays you fuel and drive. 100 years ago you did servicing, cleaning, then you did some driving - and sometimes you did fuel it as well.

Could LHR make the machine less prone to breakdowns? Maybe. Everything that is man-made can be made better and I hope LHR are aware of that as well. The other points where LHR could improve are:
    1. they should be quite open with the fact that the machine will NOT perform as expected unless you RTFM
    2. they should keep track of what errors users do and stock with parts accordingly
    3. they should update the documentation more frequently.

/Z
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )