Thread: Gremlins?

Unhappy Gremlins?

This is a little long, sorry. Last Friday I had a small project to carve, 3 small pieces with a word carved in each piece. I finished the first 2 pieces with absolutely no problems. On the third piece, about 20% of the way through the machine stopped due to a "z-axis stall error". I did some rail cleaning, cleaned the encoder wheel and made sure the ribbon cable was seated. After restarting the project it ran for a little while then I got a "y-axis stall". To make a long story short I got numerous z, y and a few x-axis stall errors after attempts at cleaning, etc. that I was never able to get rid of. After searching the forum threads on line for these problems it appeared that I was doing all the right things to no avail. I resolved that my next step was to send it in for repair. This morning, Monday, I went out to try to do a little more troubleshooting, loaded the piece in and it ran perfectly.
    Has anyone else experienced these gremlins that slip away from you over the weekend? I have to believe there is still something amiss that may be heat buildup related or something.

Hard to say for sure...

Could be the shop was too cold (I keep mine above 65°), could be debris interfering with the truck movement, or debris on the encoder(s), could be the bit wasn't fully seated.

This time of year, common (avoidable) problems are a cold shop, and static electricity zapping memory cards and/or the machine. Keep the shop toasty and ground yourself (touch a light switch screw to dissipate static) before touching memory cards or the machine.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-07-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Could it have been caused by electric draw. Where you doing anything different? Maybe running something on the circuit at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Could it have been caused by electric draw. Where you doing anything different? Maybe running something on the circuit at the same time.
    Good point - that would cause problems like that, too.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Mike

It could be a combination of both.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the input. I do have an air compressor on the same circuit which did come on between the pieces I was running as I used it due blow debris from the parts and the machine. I also heard that some people have put ionizers on the nozzles of the compressed air line to eliminate static. I am going to give the machine a tear down cleaning, move it to another circuit and hopefully that solves the problem long term. Thanks again.

another thing to look at is if the encoder disc is warped at all. if the disc touches the magnet, it will throw an error code.
    -Jason

8. Default

I have noticed that at times, especially after running several projects it's little brain gets overloaded. Resetting the machine by turning it off
    AND unplugging it can fix alot of problems.