Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the forum and would like to offer a tip

1. Default new to the forum and would like to offer a tip

I know that there are probably some here that are sign makers with long histories in Vector Graphics. I bought the Carvewright a couple of weeks ago and my aim in some cases is to just cut precise Dimensional Letters. Importing Jpeg or other Bitmap files from my Corel suites was hit and miss at best.
    I cut letters that I typed in CW Designer and had a brain Storm. I am typing True Type Fonts why not export and create True type fonts in Corel to then be installed with my Systems Files.
    Well the short story is it works. The results with the adjustments for the cutouts in CW designer are to my expectations. It is a work around solution that you have to have a old version of Corel Draw lets say version 9 or earlier. Later versions seemed to drop the TTF file export abilities.
    There are great articles on line to have the proper layouts to export vector Graphics as True Type fonts. Now I just type a customers Logo.

Northland

Quote Originally Posted by northland View Post
    I know that there are probably some here that are sign makers with long histories in Vector Graphics. I bought the Carvewright a couple of weeks ago and my aim in some cases is to just cut precise Dimensional Letters. Importing Jpeg or other Bitmap files from my Corel suites was hit and miss at best.
    I cut letters that I typed in CW Designer and had a brain Storm. I am typing True Type Fonts why not export and create True type fonts in Corel to then be installed with my Systems Files.
    Well the short story is it works. The results with the adjustments for the cutouts in CW designer are to my expectations. It is a work around solution that you have to have a old version of Corel Draw lets say version 9 or earlier. Later versions seemed to drop the TTF file export abilities.
    There are great articles on line to have the proper layouts to export vector Graphics as True Type fonts. Now I just type a customers Logo.

Northland
    Can you explain this a bit more? And possible include some links to the articles you reference?

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing some of your work posted.

Craig

4. Default

here is a link that lays out the process of converting a vector graphic into a true type font . http://www.eftelibra.co.uk/ttf.html

The things you have to look for with Graphics with Multiple objects is that you have to Combine Objects as one Object to export and you have to click on Selected Objects only to export properly . The Dialogue Boxes then come up and you choose the Character you would like your graphic to represent when you type the font in CW Designer. This may be over the head of those not using corel or another program such as Illustrator.

As the article states you want to set up a 10 inch by 10 page and frame the graphic to fit that page with some margins. You size in proportion the Graphic you want to export as a TTF.
    A customer whom I created a Corporate ID over a Decade Ago has a special font that I had since lost and cannot find . It is like the Terminator Font for the Movie but it is not the Actual font.

We always had it saved as a Vector Graphic anyways so for Vinyl Cutting it was not a big deal. With the Carvewright instead of making the entire title of the company one single character I took the individual letters and made each a new family of True Type font matching the actually characters. I can now type in both Corel and CW designer the customers font in Straight Lines , Multiple Lines vertically stacked . I could also separate the letters and apply different kerning/spacing and effects.

I hope I am not over the heads for some. It is hard to go from 15 years of doing signs a certain way in vector graphics to Bit map graphics for CW.

here is a link that lays out the process of converting a vector graphic into a true type font . http://www.eftelibra.co.uk/ttf.html

The things you have to look for with Graphics with Multiple objects is that you have to Combine Objects as one Object to export and you have to click on Selected Objects only to export properly . The Dialogue Boxes then come up and you choose the Character you would like your graphic to represent when you type the font in CW Designer. This may be over the head of those not using corel or another program such as Illustrator.

As the article states you want to set up a 10 inch by 10 page and frame the graphic to fit that page with some margins. You size in proportion the Graphic you want to export as a TTF.
    A customer whom I created a Corporate ID over a Decade Ago has a special font that I had since lost and cannot find . It is like the Terminator Font for the Movie but it is not the Actual font.

We always had it saved as a Vector Graphic anyways so for Vinyl Cutting it was not a big deal. With the Carvewright instead of making the entire title of the company one single character I took the individual letters and made each a new family of True Type font matching the actually characters. I can now type in both Corel and CW designer the customers font in Straight Lines , Multiple Lines vertically stacked . I could also separate the letters and apply different kerning/spacing and effects.

I hope I am not over the heads for some. It is hard to go from 15 years of doing signs a certain way in vector graphics to Bit map graphics for CW.
    Is it too much trouble to ask for a few screen shots? I've very interested in what your are doing.

Doug Fletcher

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Is it too much trouble to ask for a few screen shots? I've very interested in what your are doing.

Doug Fletcher
    Actually Doug Screen Shots are in the Article posted . There are other articles posted that basically do the same thing . Are you familiar with Corel Draw ? I have had Corel draw from Version 2 to 13 .
    Corel is a bit of a Challenge but really not that hard at all.
    Remember it is older versions of Corel that have this TTF export ability. Some reason Corel 13 does not have TTF export. The Older Versions of Corel are floating around for next to nothing but are well worth finding.

Northland

Actually Doug Screen Shots are in the Article posted . There are other articles posted that basically do the same thing . Are you familiar with Corel Draw ? I have had Corel draw from Version 2 to 13 .
    Remember it is older versions of Corel that have this TTF export ability. Some reason Corel 13 does not have TTF export. The Older Versions of Corel are floating around for next to nothing but are well worth finding.

Northland
    Thnaks.. i'll look at the article. I have some older versions lying around that i never used and I also have Illustrator.. so no need to ever really install it.

Doug Fletcher

Default Corel CS4 (v14)

Northland
    I use the very latest version of Corel (v14) and it will do a TTF export. I have been using CD for many years.
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhacker View Post
    I use the very latest version of Corel (v14) and it will do a TTF export. I have been using CD for many years.
    Your right Woodhacker because Maybe I am misunderstanding Adobe Type 1 font Export as not the same as TTF export. I could not find TTF export in the Menus of Corel 13. It is pretty much the same interface when you try it Adobe Type 1 .
    Your first character it prompts you to make a font family and then you just add graphics as you go.
    A great deal better then importing bitmaps and perhaps doing clean up or Drawing overlays.

Northland

Isn't that just another way of using dingbats which has been gone over here many times before?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast