I've had a version A CompuCarve for a while now but have not been able to get a lot of time on it. So far I've only got 92 hours on the timer. I just added dxf importer and straight line to my software so I expect to be able to do some more exciting projects. I originally thought I'd hold off on upgrading the spindle since I had a extra never used carving bit and figured I could get some more life out of the original hardware while getting more practice on the machine before springing for the upgrade. So, next thing I break off my 1/8th cutting bit and need to order another to finish a project. Plus the QC was sticking pretty bad making it very difficult to release the bits. Reading around here made it pretty clear that the end could be for the QC chuck. So, looking at $40 for a bit, realizing how easy it was to break the first plus a sticky QC I convinced myself to spend the extra money to go ahead and buy the carvetight. Not because the bits are any cheaper (as they obviously aren't) but also because I found these nifty looking chucks discussed while browsing through this forum. BTW, a big thanks to the designer. I'm hoping these will save me a few bucks down the road on bits as well as open up some extra freedom. It's nice to see all the clever add ons and work around's posted here on the forum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281142871145...84.m1439.l2649

Now I'm just anxiously sitting around waiting for the delivery man.

While I'm waiting, can anyone tell me if they have used both upcut and downcut spiral cutting bits? I know the trade-off's and differences between the two in general, however I'm curious if the downcut can be used with any success with the carvewright when I want to get a cleaner surface cut or does it just clog things up too much? Any recommendations on what specifics to look for in a spiral cutter (1/16" up to 1/4") for best results in the Carvewright?