Quote Originally Posted by JoeinWestMich View Post
If you are willing to invest some time, I would suggest getting a good quality airbrush. You can use acrylic or even latex paints thinned properly and get a very fine line. I can spray letters MUCH faster than I can using a fine brush. But it takes a bit of practice.... more than say a HVLP sprayer. But once you get the hang of it, it might pay off down the road. I got my practice in from years of making plastic models. With an airbrush, I could paint fine seam lines and rivets with virtually no overspray. And those are much smaller than the dimensions of the letter carves you are making. Maybe someone out there is actually using one for signs and can give you a suggestion as to best airbrush for this purpose. I don't make signs (maybe one or two here or there) so I wouldn't want to steer you wrong, and my airbrush is now almost 20 years old.
I have been toying with the idea of an air-brush for a while.. not just specifically for this purpose but to get some more natural effects. Used an air-brush as a teenager when I was into sketching and wanted to try painting but I never took it too far at the time. It would be a cool skill to have though. This use of an air-brush was suggested to me in a sign-making forum so it might be the right solution for me to keep speeds up and avoid issues associated with products like rustoleum/krylon paints I've tried so far.