I got a request from a customer for a table-top version of the lake maps that I carve. The top must be smooth. I've been experimenting with two-part pour-on finishes, namely Envrirotex Lite and EasyCast, in preparation for this project. My first thought was to stain the carving as usual, then pour on the finish. That's the sample on the right. The finish typically is poured onto a flat surface, but I confirmed with the company's tech support that it would work fine on carvings 1/2" deep or more, and it did work quite well. Tech support also suggested an initial pour with their EasyCast to fill in the carvings, then a final pour of Envirotex Lite. I decided to try some blue transparent tint in the initial pour, which produced an interesting effect. The blue did bleed a bit into the wood, so if I do this again I will brush on an initial thin seal coat. (A seal coat of this type is recommended for porous woods like oak, to prevent bubbles from forming.) While the tint is interesting, it does mask some of the detail. So I think I am going to go with the stain and the single pour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6305864.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	60605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6305863.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	60606

It's hard to capture the depth and gloss of the finish in photos. Since these were just test, I did not bother to make a complete pour for the sample on the right, but obviously the table top will be 100% covered.