Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
Wow Ike! You are psychic or something! I just faced this exact dilemma! I made a carving for my cousin, the board I used, lent itself perfectly to fit the pattern. The even horizontal banding of the grain was perfect for the carve... One small problem... a crack. I debated this problem for a little while, I finally decided, that I didn't create the board, and it was recycled. I darn sure was not going to waste it! I filled it in with epoxy, working it into the crack as deep as I could. After it hardened I sanded it smooth, and carved it the next day. I told my cousin about the crack and showed her how I repaired it. She loved it anyway! And agreed with me that the grain was worth an almost invisible crack. If it becomes an issue, I will take care of it. But she will pay for the next piece of wood to carve it with! LOL
I consider myself a person of high-morals. But I am also a person that likes to make people happy! I once sold a car, for what I payed for it, (three years prior) and told the guy it needed a motor. I was honest with him, but he still wanted the car. I was happy, he was happy.
I don't think a questionable apostrophe would be an intent to defraud someone. LOL But I do see your point. When I worked at the Lincoln/Mercury dealer, our used car lot used to wholesale any trade-in that was not a Lincoln/Mercury. We used to get fantastic deals! The owner of the Dealer would not have his name attached to anything, but, a Lincoln/Mercury vehicle. I asked him why he would take a loss on these vehicles when he could have profited from their sales. He told me it was because he would have to rely on the reputation of other dealers, to repair those vehicles. And that meant his customers would be "AT" other dealers.
If another sign-maker see's the mistake, he could ridicule your sign without your knowledge. And use it as an example to steer customers his way.
But while we are on the subject of apostrophes. If a name ends in S such as Willis. The proper apostrophe for plural would be Willis'. What would the possessive apostrophe be? For example. You make a sign that say's " The Willis' ". Meaning there are more than one member of the Willis Family. But the sign hangs on their house. So the sign could mean that the family owns this property. So what would be correct? " Willis' " , " Willis's ", or " Willises " ? I think I will avoid this in the future by using "family" or "home" after the name!
Yes if it ends in"S" an apostrophe is needed. Even though it hangs on their home unless it reads the say the Butler's home or house or estates, cabin etc. Then the sign should read The Butlers.... I know about selling items you have own and not made. However I am talking about personal hand made products like signs! Yes I have repaired cracks that I found after a carve! I glued it with quick glue or Gorilla glue and with a torch you can hide the problem. The crack example I meant was a unfix able crack or a very noticeable crack. So I am adamant to the point of losing the order before adding an unnecessary grammar error!

So if it ends with"S" the rule is replacing a letter like in a contraction did not......didn't. Willis' ......Willis's It is not a matter of defraud like knowing there is an issue with car, putting an apostrophe and knowing it is wrong is a reflection of you and not the customer. Yes I tell them if I do please tell everyone I explained the correct grammar and you are incorrect, no wrong! That has always worked and I never lost an order!

Ike