Thread: quick hummingbird cheese board -

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default quick hummingbird cheese board -

We spent a very nice time last weekend at a friend's family ranch in Sedona last weekend, and I wanted to make a quick cheese board for the family matriarch, a lovely 93-year old lady. She seemed to have a lot of large cutting boards that she would have trouble holding so I thought I'd make her a VERY quick little board. From grabbing the mesquite from the scrap bin to putting the workpiece on the painting pyramids w/mineral spirits on it took approx. 20 minutes including programming.

It is about 8 x 14 in size and is 1/2 inch thick.

This is a great example of how the Carvewright can make a cutout easy...

The piece itself was not cut out, but I used the same 60 degree bit to make a groove where I wanted it to be cut out... this made cutting it the whole way through on the bandsaw VERY easy and the layout was definitely quicker. The overall carve, including the outer edge "score" took about 4 minutes. I then filled the hummingbird groove with 1 minute epoxy mixed with turquoise inlace dust. After it cured, I used a hand plane to remove the excess epoxy and prep the board for finish. The final edge was finished on my ridgid osc. belt sander (perfect for this project) and a quick chamfer on the router table.

Thanks as always for looking,
    Lawrence
    Attached Files Attached Files