Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Eagle Clock

Great looking project michael...love how you a bunch of ideas together

John

Cool

Michael,

That clock is to die for! Fantastic!
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Very classy looking. Great carving.
    Rocky

Default Clock

I've got a spot on the wall that really could use that,Michael .Beautiful.
    Thanks,Capt.Barry

Michael, Something else to consider incorporating in a future clock, (or maybe just a stand alone shadow box style piece) would be one that is back lit. Maybe an area carved out that other separate carvings are placed into with a small nightlite in the background to show the carved pieces up...like a few small deer and trees...sorta layered out. Just more for you to think about...lol
    Lin

Very nice job!

Lg

Michael,
    Another breath taking project, all of us here are very lucky to have some with your talents in the community.
    Ray

Michael
    Very nice clock. I have not had good luck with Cabot stains. The smell just drives my right out of the shop, and the door I was doing at the time was very large and started drying before I could get an even coat on all sections. Just my personnal thoughts.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Thanks again, everybody, for the compliments and the suggestions!

Lin, thank you for the backlit/layered idea. Very creative, and would look really nice in a future clock design or applied in a shadowbox decorative item as you say.

Daniel, I didn't notice a particularly different or unusual odor with the Cabot stain that was any "worse" than other stains I've used over the years - but, I use cross-ventilation when staining (a fan positioned about 15 feet away to move air across the work area), so maybe I just missed it. I also didn't notice it drying any faster either when working with it (I let it dry overnight as usual before applying the clearcoat), but I've not tried it on a large surface such as a full-size door - - for that matter, I've never used Cabot stains at all until this project, so I'm certainly no expert about that brand!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    Michael
    Very nice clock. I have not had good luck with Cabot stains. The smell just drives my right out of the shop, and the door I was doing at the time was very large and started drying before I could get an even coat on all sections. Just my personnal thoughts.
    later Daniel

Were you using a water based or oil based stain? Water based is more difficult to work with on large areas because it dries faster than oil based.
    Rocky

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast