Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open doorr sensor

Default Open doorr sensor

My third door sensor just went down. I've got less than 30hrs cut time showing. I purchased this machine the last of Aug. Can anyone advise me on the close door sensors.

I've put two sensors in. It when to the shop for another. Counting the original I guess that 4 sensors Ive been through instead of 3. The one coming up will be #5.

I'v had other problems too. But I've been able to work around them so far.

I'm learning a lot about taking it apart. Less about using it.

Help. Jim

Default sensor

Quote Originally Posted by vintagecop View Post
    My third door sensor just went down. I've got less than 30hrs cut time showing. I purchased this machine the last of Aug. Can anyone advise me on the close door sensors.

I've put two sensors in. It when to the shop for another. Counting the original I guess that 4 sensors Ive been through instead of 3. The one coming up will be #5.

I'v had other problems too. But I've been able to work around them so far.

I'm learning a lot about taking it apart. Less about using it.

Help. Jim
    I've never worked on mine, but I just did a quick check of a few things.

With the power on, or off, you can hear each switch activate. in my case, the Left clicks slightly before the Right (I was lowering the cover very slowly). My presumption is that if you hear the click the electric contacts, in the switch, should be working. No click could mean a bad switch or it is out of alignment (the cover must press on the contact).

I'm sure that you have used the "Option" selection to check the sensor status at some time.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I have about 20 hours on my machine. The door sensor went out at about 17 hours. While I was waiting for a new one, I put a jump wire on the switch. It worked fine juumped out. Parts shouldn't be goiing bad that often, but if I have as much trouble as you are having, I think that I would perminantly jump the switch out and do without it. Its pretty obvious that the cover is open without being reminded.

Jerry

Bypassing the cover switch is a big "no no". The switch is there for safety reasons and should not be bypassed. Ever. If the switch does not function, it could be a faulty switch or other issue. Either way, your best option would be to contact our support team and troubleshoot over the phone with the technicians.

Please, never bypass the switch. Sometimes the results can be quite painful.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by Celticwood View Post
    I have about 20 hours on my machine. The door sensor went out at about 17 hours. While I was waiting for a new one, I put a jump wire on the switch. It worked fine juumped out. Parts shouldn't be goiing bad that often, but if I have as much trouble as you are having, I think that I would perminantly jump the switch out and do without it. Its pretty obvious that the cover is open without being reminded.

Jerry
    Jerry,

Interesting FIRST Post.

The "Cover Open" reminder is not for your amusement but to prevent the machine from starting while you have your fingers on the bit..... When I worked for SONY making picture tubes they had about 6 Maintenance Guys in the 9 digit club. Nothing sinks home the point of safety then talking to the guys in the 9 digit club and seeing the gory pictures. It was part of Safety Training.

It's like a seat belt.... As you face is going through the windshield you suddenly remember you had a seat belt.

My point is that you should not suggest that anyone disable a safety switch because you think it is OK. It is not. Do what you want with your own machine. Someone new may not think it through and follow your advice and remove the safety switch.

Then his lawyer knocks on your door.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-24-2008 at 10:45 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Something else has to be happening to cause your cover switch problems. Do you still have the probe jack in your Z-truck? If so is there a small, 1/4" wide ribbon cable running from the Z-truck up to the Z-motor? If so unplug the cable from the Z-motor. The little circuit board in the Z-truck is no longer used and can cause a lot of false sensor errors with the 'Close Cover' error being the most common.

If it is not that then I would suggest looking at what you might be doing that could shorten the life of the cover switches. Constantly blowing out a machine full of sawdust with high-pressure compressed air could sure push sawdust into the switches. Do you lower the cover down by hand or just let it fall? Over extending a micro-switch is a common cause of failure. I'm not after 'blaming' you for the problem but rather just wanted to point out a few failure modes that could be user related.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Open cover problem

Thanks to all who answered my problem on the repeated open cover sensor problems. atauer, Jeff Birt, Ask Bud and Celtic wood

To Jeff Birt specifically:
    I probably do let the cover drop. I will watch that. I don't see a 1/4" ribbon from the Z truck. I do blow it out frequently. what pressure should I be using. I had it turned down to 80. I just turned it down to 40 and that seems to do a good job. What do you suggest.

Can a switch be re-habed if saw dust get into it?

Thanks again to all.

JIm

Things that can cause a open cover error.

A bad switch or a switch with sawdust in it.

Loose screws holding the switch in place or the plastic holes that the switch screws go into are cracked or pushed toward the center of the machine not letting the clear cover reach the switch all the way.

Using Options and monitoring the LCD display use something to push in the switch activator and see if the LCD changes to Closed.

The clear cover little arm or bump might be cracked or short.

The Screws holding the clear cover might be loose letting the clear plastic cover not reach the switch.

While you have the Close Cover Error use options to check other data like the Z and Y position and move the Axis and see if the LCD reads something other than 0000.

I had a shorted or pinched wire on my board detector cause the computer to not see data like closed cover, z and y data. That problem will require a trip to LHR.

If you have the OLD Z and the 5 wire cable from the Z Spindle that was formerly used to bring probe data to the computer can pinch and short out the close cover and Z and Y data buss lines to the computer.

In the New Z Bundle this cable is no longer used and is pulled out. Even with the old Z pulling it out will just not let you use the probe but solve shorting problems.

Here is a picture of the old 5 pin Z cable that is not used now.

If you ever remove the top cover with the clear cover attached, be careful moving it as the clear cover rests on the switches causing them to break. Support the clear cover.

Loose white plug to the circuit board from the left switch.

And last but NOT Least....

Plug from the left switch installed 180 degrees out. It will fit, I know, I did it. The White wire from the left plug must face the center of the machine.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06291_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-24-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vintagecop View Post
    Can a switch be re-habed if saw dust get into it?
    JIm
    The two switch halves snap together. Just unsnap it and clean out. If there is no sawdust in it then take your wifes emry board or some 400 or 600 sandpaper and slide it between the contacts once or twice on each side. Snap it back together and you should be set to go. I only had to do it once and have not had a problem since.

To Jeff Birt specifically:
    I probably do let the cover drop. I will watch that. I don't see a 1/4" ribbon from the Z truck. I do blow it out frequently. what pressure should I be using. I had it turned down to 80. I just turned it down to 40 and that seems to do a good job. What do you suggest.
    #40 is probably OK. I found out just like you did that #40 works just as well as #80. I think the biggest risk with blowing a machine out is doing so when the machine is completely packed with sawdust. I always vacuum out as much sawdust as I can and then use air to get the little bit that is left.

If you don't see the small ribbon cable then chances are you have the new Z-motor assembly so you don't have that problem to worry about.

As for the cover dropping. If done a lot then it has the potential to cause the switch to fail as well as just cause it to move out of adjustment. Some folks have reported finding a compatible micro-switch at Radio Shack.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast