Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a Fla Sherriff Star pattern

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Looking at it from an angle tells the tale Ike. The CW would be much like a jack hammer carving this.

Smoothing and blurring isn't enough. You have to get the grays (lows and highs) closer to one another. Try adjusting the contrast down a bit, then a "little blur" to smooth it.

It's a learning curve. Took me months to get it close and I'm still learning...LOL

.......Yours..................Mine
    Ok I am sticking my tongue at you!! Now Chris are you telling me I number one! LOL I see what you mean yours looks like a cookie. Well mine would be a good cookie cutter!!!

Back to the old Corel board!!! ok buddy you got me working and I be darn if I remember what I did! First one is flat, but second is flat and somewhat 3D!

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 12-30-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Ok I am sticking my tongue at you!! Now Chris are you telling me I number one! LOL I see what you mean yours looks like a cookie. Well mine would be a good cookie cutter!!!

Back to the old Corel board!!! ok buddy you got me working and I be darn if I remember what I did! First one is flat, but second is flat and somewhat 3D!

Ike
    Ike,

Are you rotating these in the import dialog box so you can see the results?

The CW sees all 255 shades of gray. It WILL do it's best to carve what it sees. Rotating the pattern will show you what the CW sees. And with the CW, it really is...WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

On the "badge ptn", (picture 1), I'm not sure what you did but you can see how the CW will "attempt" to carve it. An awful lot of up and down work for the Z truck and this will be what you get out.

On the "hills badge", (picture 2), I'm going to guess that you pretty much just imported the B&W graphic. You can see how it's pretty much black and white because the lows (lighter) are all the way down and the highs (Darker) are all the way up. This is what I meant by having to get the grays "closer to each other" by lowering the contrast.

So here's a glimpse of what the Graphic should look like to produce the pattern I made. (Picture 3) Shows the graphic I started with (Thanks Steve), and the end result for the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Badge 2.jpg   Hills Badge.jpg   Mine Side x Side.jpg  
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

I don't know what to say... fantastic... I appreciate the help. My future son-in-law is with the department and I wanted to give him something special. I have had the carvewright for about 3 months and really love it but I do find there is quite a lot i learn every day. I reaaly appreciate the help and maybe when I grow up I will be able to create these out of graphics

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by PlateCarver View Post
    I don't know what to say... fantastic... I appreciate the help. My future son-in-law is with the department and I wanted to give him something special. I have had the carvewright for about 3 months and really love it but I do find there is quite a lot i learn every day. I reaaly appreciate the help and maybe when I grow up I will be able to create these out of graphics

Thanks again
    You just said it!!

There is a learning curve for sure and you'll get there like the rest of us. I hope the patterns work for you and if you need any modifications, just let us know.

Please tell your son-in-law how truly greatful we are for his service. Our police never get enough credit for what they do everyday for all of us.

Merry Chistmas, God Bless and ummm, if you don't mind a little advice, NEVER GROW UP!!! LOL....
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Ike,

Are you rotating these in the import dialog box so you can see the results?

The CW sees all 255 shades of gray. It WILL do it's best to carve what it sees. Rotating the pattern will show you what the CW sees. And with the CW, it really is...WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

On the "badge ptn", (picture 1), I'm not sure what you did but you can see how the CW will "attempt" to carve it. An awful lot of up and down work for the Z truck and this will be what you get out.

On the "hills badge", (picture 2), I'm going to guess that you pretty much just imported the B&W graphic. You can see how it's pretty much black and white because the lows (lighter) are all the way down and the highs (Darker) are all the way up. This is what I meant by having to get the grays "closer to each other" by lowering the contrast.

So here's a glimpse of what the Graphic should look like to produce the pattern I made. (Picture 3) Shows the graphic I started with (Thanks Steve), and the end result for the pattern.
    No I didn't just use the BW image, I did what you said I adjusted the contrast and added more blur. This I went to Corel photo paint rather then draw. I mess with several things and then imported it to Pattern Editor.

From there I keep having trouble, every time I try to export the pattern to the library it crashes.

I know the first one looked like a bunch of jags, but I don't see what's wrong with my final attempt hills badge. As you said it will cut what it sees, I see flat surface and areas in to show 3D effect. I did turn it to the side, but can't get it in my designer.

Oh well the thing is Plate is happy!

Ike

PS

OK OK I see what you are saying I went into designer and looked at the pattern before editor and now I know what you are pointing out! Yes it was flatter, but still nasty! Guess I wanted it 3D and this isn't going to work that way! Still sticking my tongue out!
    Last edited by Ike; 12-20-2008 at 12:45 PM.

I liked the star so much, I carved this for my best friend - a veteran of the Gulf Co. Fla Sheriff's Dept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gulf sheriff.jpg  
    Terry S
    Panama City, Fl
    Running 1.126

Really turned out great he will love it. Its great to be able to get help so quick is'nt it ...

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by tstryk View Post
    I liked the star so much, I carved this for my best friend - a veteran of the Gulf Co. Fla Sheriff's Dept.

Looks great and you got it done fast too. Nice job!!
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123