Thread: links for using the router bit?

Default links for using the router bit?

Does anyone have a link or 6 on using the router bits?
    I may have asked the question wrong too.

I am new and on my 4th carving, super hooked, losing sleep on thinking of projects I can do. I will be receiving router bits soon. I want to make a few signs, but route the edges with the machine. I have a regular router, but do not have a steady hand.

looking for
    -tips and tricks
    -techniques
    -links to all the above
    -any projects you have done for reference with routed edges.

I have a ton of thoughts spinning in my head, just need to let them out.

Default Use your router!

lostinthefrost...
    If you have a regular router the easiest and fastest way to edge route would be using your own router and get yourself a few edge forming router bits with a bearing that rides on the edge of the board and controls the bit's cut. No steady hand involved and much faster results and fewer hours on your CW.
    JON,

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

3. Default Router bits

I was gung ho to start with too. But after using machine to do edges...it took 10 times as long as running them over the router table. But I had to try just because I could.

I Would Invest In Some Pilot Bits To Do Your Edge Routing.

You Can Also Build A Simple Router Table With Just A Piece Of Plywood And A Wood Fence. Doenst Have To Be Fancy To Route Edges.

Good Luck

Kendall
    no chips on the floor means no money in the bank

Default I like a bead edge

I like to use a bead router bit with a guide bearing. If I am doing the edges of a box top a fence isn't needed on a router table, buy to do the bottom edge a fence is a big help. I just finished 11 boxes for each of my 11 grand-kids for Christmas.

If you are using a bearing guided router bit in a router table without a fence, be sure to use a guide pin to start the cut to prevent the board or box from being ripped out of your hand and possibly causing serious injury.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthefrost View Post
    Does anyone have a link or 6 on using the router bits?
    I may have asked the question wrong too.

I am new and on my 4th carving, super hooked, losing sleep on thinking of projects I can do. I will be receiving router bits soon. I want to make a few signs, but route the edges with the machine. I have a regular router, but do not have a steady hand.

looking for
    -tips and tricks
    -techniques
    -links to all the above
    -any projects you have done for reference with routed edges.

I have a ton of thoughts spinning in my head, just need to let them out.
    Hello,

My method is to do simple decorative edge routing on rectangles, ovals and smoothly contoured shapes with a conventional router on most projects. However, there are situations where it is much easier and safer to use the CarveWright machine for certain route procedures.

One application that comes to mind right away is doing roundovers and decorative beading on wooden wheels for toys. Although this could be done on a table router, I feel much more comfortable (and safer!) using the CarveWright to accomplish a route such as seen in photo of four 2½" wheels, below.

Trying to do the roundovers and beading on 2½" wheels with a table router would make my fingers a little nervous, and I wouldn't even try it without building some kind of jig to do so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden_Wheels.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Amen to the router tavle

I agree that for most applications the router table is a much better way to go. Easier and safer. Like the man said...getting my fingers too close to a bit spinning at 20,000 rpm just doesn't do it for me.

And then of course, there are those situations that ONLY the CW can do. Like inside routing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Day.jpg  
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot