Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Scanning Probe

Default Sensor Works

All,
    Thanks so much for all the advice. I received a reply from the support people at CarveWright and what they told me corrected my problem. You have to press "0" then "7" then the up arrow until you get to "Probe State". This is were deflecting the probe tip goes from closed to open. Again thanks alot. Just got back from sea and am getting ready to try it out for the first time.

Brad Julian

liquidguitars Quote:
    Press 0, 5, down arrow twice, press Enter to change.

one more thing, you need to turn off the Carvewright after
    telling it what probe you have selected to flash the eprom..

So its..

Press 0, 5, down arrow twice, press Enter to change, then power off, wait a few and power up..

LG
    Thanks LG... no luck with that either.

Quick question... it seems that the indication should go from "closed" to "open" if you unplug the probe while in the sensor test screen. However, some electronics are sensitive to plugging and unplugging sensors on a live circuit. Can anyone give me a reason why this would or would not be a good test?

If it is okay to do this, it could help me eliminate the probe as the problem and concentrate on the wires and plugs.

Thanks,

Steve
    SawdustSteve

Default probe

Quote Originally Posted by SawdustSteve View Post
    Thanks LG... no luck with that either.

Quick question... it seems that the indication should go from "closed" to "open" if you unplug the probe while in the sensor test screen. However, some electronics are sensitive to plugging and unplugging sensors on a live circuit. Can anyone give me a reason why this would or would not be a good test?

If it is okay to do this, it could help me eliminate the probe as the problem and concentrate on the wires and plugs.

Thanks,

Steve
    Mine has came loose during a scan and I just got a check probe error . It didn't hurt anything .Maybe I was just lucky . I guess it would be a good test .
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

Mine has came loose during a scan and I just got a check probe error . It didn't hurt anything .Maybe I was just lucky . I guess it would be a good test .
    Thanks Roughcut - that's good input.

I've taken the day off today and getting to the bottom of this is on my list of things to do.

Steve
    SawdustSteve

Default Update for the curious...

I didn't get the opportunity to do any detailed troubleshooting... however, I did unplug the probe while in "sensor test"... it showed "closed".

I shut down the machine and restarted so that it would start up without recognizing the probe was attached and then checked the state in "sensor test"... it showed "closed".

As I reached inside, when my hand came within about 1/4" from the wires (not the plug connection), the indication changed to "open"!

I did not have time to pursue this further... but the indication is consistent... every time I put my hand near the wires, the indication changes to "open".

Once I am finished with my Christmas projects and can dig into this further, I'll pull the connecting wires out and inspect... as well as look for grounding issues.

Are there any other avenues anyone can suggest as a "next step"?

Thanks,

Steve
    SawdustSteve

6. Default Me too

I am having the exact same problem. If I find a solution I will post it. If you find one, please post the result.

Why is everybody beating around the bush? You got a bad probe. It is very common. I rebuilt my probe the second time I used it. Bad solder joints, flimsey wire re-enforcement. Thats just the way they are. Now I am not venting or trying to bad rap the company, I just don't want you chasing your tail.

Solution: You either send it back and wait a few weeks or you do what I did. Not only did I fix the electrical contacts and add re-enforcement to the wire, I also turned a new probe tip on my lathe because the original one bent from running blind.

You could narrow it down with an ohm meter set to beep. Clip to the mini jack and tap the probe. It does not have to be mounted in the collet, you can do it at the kitchen table...Oh and while you are on your way there don't forget to bring the soldering iron, I have a feeling you will be needing it.
    Last edited by bfcg; 03-25-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bfcg View Post
    Why is everybody beating around the bush? You got a bad probe. It is very common. I rebuilt my probe the second time I used it. Bad solder joints, flimsey wire re-enforcement. Thats just the way they are. Now I am not venting or trying to bad rap the company, I just don't want you chasing your tail.

Solution: You either send it back and wait a few weeks or you do what I did. Not only did I fix the electrical contacts and add re-enforcement to the wire, I also turned a new probe tip on my lathe because the original one bent from running blind.

You could narrow it down with an ohm meter set to beep. Clip to the mini jack and tap the probe. It does not have to be mounted in the collet, you can do it at the kitchen table...Oh and while you are on your way there don't forget to bring the soldering iron, I have a feeling you will be needing it.
    I must have missed something cause i don't see were anybody is beating around the bush. In this thread there are several different problem not just one so before you say its the probe and send it in as you suggest it would be wise to make sure it is indeed the probe. For example one post did not even have probe connected yet was getting changes in open and close therefore probally was not the probe itself (he would have wasted more time by sending it in) If you want to check the probe while still in machine while you are checking the probe tip to make sure it goes from close to open when you are deflecting it then (WARNING i would not do the following unless you are having a problem you don't want to create one) where wire goes into probe lightly push wire in a little and very gently pull. If it does show a change it is a loose wire and then as BFCG stated fix or send in. If it is the wire it is a pretty simple fix to take probe apart check connections and solider wire back if needed if you don't feel comfortable doing it your self run it to your corner electronics shop and they will probally do it for free or just a few buck while you wait. Also do a search and read past post on probe. One more thing if you don't have a probe don't be scared off by these post they are simple and a blast to work with and makes the machine that much more fun. Would hate to think of not having one.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

eromran - thanks for the post... all very valuable information. bfcg didn't get the benefit of some of the private corespondence I had (offline) concerning this problem, so he only had part of the picture. I can see how it would be easy to make some incorrect assumptions.

I've been traveling, both in and out of the US and have not had time to work on this issue (I solve non-CW problems for a living!).

What I HAVE done is this...

1. Disassembled the probe and carefully inspected all connections and contacts

2. Removed the entire assembly - probe to circuit board - and traced the wiring (see attached drawing)

3. Using a multimeter, checked the probe reaction all the way back to the circuit board... it reacts exactly as I expect. "Closed" contact when in a static condition - "open" contact when the probe is slightly deflected

What I have NOT done is trace the circuit beyond the connection point of the circuit board. I took my readings from the back side of the board, so I am moderately confident the solder connections at that point are good. I will inspect them more closely during my next go-around.

I have tried to get circuit information from CW, but I think this is a little beyond the helpdesk level. I would like to verify that the wiring between the probe and the circuit board is correct. I am 100% confident that my drawing reflects what I have. However, in my profession, I have seen more than one case where an assembly person inserted the wire in the wrong plug hole.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scanning probe wiring.jpg  
    SawdustSteve

Default other probes

Hello, just for everyone's info, the probes for regular floor cnc's are the same 2 wire configuration as the cw, you would just need to replace the connector. I have never had the one for the cnc apart, but you can tell by looking at it, it's some degree of better quality.I paid around 300.00 for mine and you can purchase different size tips.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12