Thread: crazy breadboard question

Default crazy breadboard question

im trying to make some crazy breadboards for presents and need some input

i took some scrap and glued up 4 different blanks with random cherry, walnut, maple and birds eye maple.

i want to cut wavy lines the same in all four so i can random glue them back up to make some funky looking bread boards.

my questions is if i do cut paths like the ptn below will it leave tabs or will i have to fasten it to my sled. i hate to break a bit so im asking for advice

ill post pictures when im done

thanks

kendall
    Attached Files Attached Files
    no chips on the floor means no money in the bank

There should not be any tabs as you're not doing a cut out. Look forward to seeing pictures. The project sounds quite interesting.
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    67.34% of all statistics are made up.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

thats what i was afraid of

i guess ill have to only cut through to 90% of carve and finish on the bandsaw
    and the use the flush cutting router bit in my router table and finish then off

ill post when im done

thanks

kendall

Default Way breadboards

Kendall
    Just some thoughts here.
    1. As long as your not cutting the entire length of the board, you can cut the full thickness all the way through even if it is 0.250 at a time. You still have it connected at the ends.
    2. I don't think the individual pieces will fit together after you cut them because one piece will be cut with an inside radius and the matting piece of the second piece will be cut with an outside radius. I think they will be 1/8" difference in the radius, using the 1/8" bit.
    My suggestion would be to cut a master templete of each line and use the flush cutting router bit.
    Another way would be cut a line as you have it in designer on the first board and the second board offset all your lines by 1/8" in the same direction so the second cut boards will match up with the first cut boards. Hope all this makes sence .Practice first , make sure they fit.
    past my bedtime later Daniel
    Last edited by Dan-Woodman; 12-09-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Kendall,

I would use a sled or carrier board and either double sided carpet tape (stuff is great for all kinds of things) or a spray adhesive to fasten it to the sled and then cut the whole distance. I use 3M spray adhesive and you can do a temporary hold by spraying just one side, i.e. either the sled or wood. If you sprayed both, it would be permanent.

The tape would be my fist pick. Run a couple strips at a 90 to your cuts. Like one on each end and one in the middle.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Kendall,
    I agree with Dan that they won't fit back together due to the stock removed by the bit.
    Below is a pic of a couple I did, with the bandsaw. It was necessary to saw on the bandsaw with the 2 pieces of stock (Walnut and Oak) stacked one atop the other, with double sideed tape. Since the pieces are stacked the bit 'kerf' problem is removed.
    Now another option that may work is what I had to do a some of the type in the pic below when I screwed up on the BS cutting and there were places in the cut that had gaps. I sliced ~1/16" thick strips and glued one between the Oak and Walnut. This was satisfactorily hid the gaps.

thanks all for your imput
    do you suppose it would work to put a 1/8" piece of say walnut to replace what the bit took out. would that make the panels match up?
    it would also add to the look of the cutting board.

im going to use a sled to cut these as i dont have the 7" extra on the ends to waste so maybe 2 face tape might be the way to do

any imput appreciated

thanks

kendall

Quote Originally Posted by supershingler View Post
    thanks all for your imput
    do you suppose it would work to put a 1/8" piece of say walnut to replace what the bit took out. would that make the panels match up?
    it would also add to the look of the cutting board.

im going to use a sled to cut these as i dont have the 7" extra on the ends to waste so maybe 2 face tape might be the way to do

any imput appreciated

thanks

kendall
    With the gentle curves you have, 1/8" may bend without breaking, soaking the strips will let them bend easier. Be prepared to be frustrated at glue up time, those curves will slip on each other with clamping pressure.
    ken