Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unexpected pattern results

cholme....,

I guess that makes two of us then. I'm a 35 carpenter and and MCSE and it took me months to get a "GOOD" hold on this gray scale artwork. Not so much for "flat" carvings like this but using gradients to get smooth ups & downs for 3D carvings....LOL...STILL drives me crazy at times.

I use PSP and I'm not familiar with Illustrator but I assume it's just as capable as most other decent graphic apps. By looking at you MPC file, it seems there has to be an "outline" of different shades of gray around your letters & pattern. Make sure the shade of gray you have in the middle of them runs all the way to the edges. Designer can "see" ALL 255 shades so if you have any pixels that vary even ONE shade, the CW will carve them.

I can't really tell by this picture you posted but by looking at the results, that's my guess.

EDIT: Wait a second here...LOL. You have it right!! Man I need to wait until my second cup of coffee before typing things...LOL

All you need to do is "INVERT" the pattern in Designer and you have it. Also, adjust your depth to less after you invert it. I'd say no more than an 1/8" (.125).

The way you have it in the MPC you posted, would be the for putting it in a carved region so the letters and patterns would protrude UP from the wood. Attached is your MPC done both ways. I did nothing to you pattern. You have it right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russel MPC.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 12-10-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

2. Default

Wow... Thanks.

So, it is nice to know that I am not the only one who has trouble with this software. I hope they make it a bit more intuitive in future releases.

Quote Originally Posted by cholme@mac.com View Post
    Wow... Thanks.

So, it is nice to know that I am not the only one who has trouble with this software. I hope they make it a bit more intuitive in future releases.
    We all go through the learning curve. The Designer software by itself is pretty easy to use. Using graphics programs to make nice patterns gets a little more involved. Still pretty easy but can be time consuming...LOL

Glad you're on your way up the curve!!..

Just playing around with this pattern.......No text, I prefer to use Designer for adding text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russ 2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 12-12-2008 at 07:54 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12