Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Nuveau / Photographic style test

Default Art Nuveau / Photographic style test

I've added a photographic element to this graphic piece. I am still working on getting the depths to really describe the face then I will manually clean and carve from there.

The left side of the carving has not completely carved through the ¾” depth of the poplar. The right side has gone completely through where gaps in the hair should be.

I have more work to do and more iterations of this design to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MimiWeb34100k_4958.jpg   MimiWebFull100k_4957.jpg   MimiWebHoles100k_4959.jpg  

Looks like it will be very interesting, did you use a sled while carving?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Default Sled used?

HI James,
    I did not use a sled just the sand paper rollers. Could I have acheived better results??

Quote Originally Posted by 3DbME View Post
    I've added a photographic element to this graphic piece. I am still working on getting the depths to really describe the face then I will manually clean and carve from there.

The left side of the carving has not completely carved through the ¾” depth of the poplar. The right side has gone completely through where gaps in the hair should be.

I have more work to do and more iterations of this design to come.
    Hello 3DbME,

Very creative work! I see we have another CarveWright artist on board. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

(BTW - A sled would not make any difference in the outcome - it appears you're just fine with how you setup your project.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by 3DbME View Post
    HI James,
    I did not use a sled just the sand paper rollers. Could I have acheived better results??
    Good morning 3DbME,
    I'm sorry if I confused the subject, I was just wondering if you had used a sled is all.
    I can't wait to see the finished piece

Default Sled used?

Hi James. No worries about the confusion I was born with that trait!

Just being new to the process I wanted to see if there is a cleaner process.

I am going to revamp the original image to boost up the borders and get a straight 1/16" cutting bit. The 1/16" taper is not giving the results I wanted.

There is going to be some hand carving anyway but I would like to have a consistent thickness to work with.

Thanks for looking.

Did you have an extra 7" to the length of the board? Looks like it may have raised up slightly when it came from under the rollers or had a small amount of cup thus it carved a tad deeper on the right side.

Perhaps seeing the .mpc would help determine why it happened. If the board is perfectly flat and all the depths are set right it shouldn't have done that, it doesn't look like chip out either.
    Last edited by Amonaug; 11-30-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Default Warped board? NO

Hi Amonaug,

The board was not warped but previously, partially, used when the system crashed. (Pic attached) I have had alot of static problems and one static jolt between the machine and I caused a fatal error #2 wne the project was 45% complete.

I fixed the physical problems of my house wiring by increasing my GFI outlet from 15amp to 20 amps. This has stopped GFI outages. A big storm blew in the first day i used the machine and BELIEVE that's what caused the huge static discharge. Also I stopped using my wet/dry vacume while carving. I use only compressed air during carvings to clear the rail of sawdust build-up. Compressor is on another circuit as well.

Long story short... I flipped over and reused a board. The sun had a depth of .6 and the HAIR was .5 deep so there was overlap. To not sound stupid, I had planned a version where the negative area in the hair was going to be routed out (filigree) anyway so this actually gave me both results.

Thanks for suggestion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SunCrash.jpg  

Default Backlighting filagree

Here is another go at intentionally scrolling the filagree work and enhanced photo image. I have the scanner and software on order but worked out the value map in photoshop. The face is now a recognizable person; my daughter.

Still working on the details. I'll post more later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FinalArtNfntLT.jpg   FinalArtNbkLT.jpg  

I wonder how that would look as a lithopane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast