Thread: Text carving questions

Default Text carving questions

It seems that when raster carving text, the machine carves inside the line. This is fine if carving is reversed - inset; but not reversed, it makes the letters smaller by 1/8 in. (1/16 on each side) so some parts of letters are carved to just a nubbin. Setting text to bold helps. Now this leads to another problem. I purchased a "scroll" pattern and want to put a name on it (actually 11 names on 11 scrolls - for my grand-kids). I can put unreversed text on the scroll pattern, but reversed - inset - won't work. I looks sort of outlined. I have tried changing the depth and additive.

I also had the first problem ( carving inside the lines ) while developing a pattern that I designed in TurboCad. My solution there was to carve it inset and make a plaster cast that I could touch-up and scanned that with the probe.

Default Will outlining work?

cestout,
    Would doing it in outline instead of raster work for you? You can set your depth to what ever you need with the 90V or 60V bits if you have them.
    Brady
    Sometimes you gotta break it to fix it.

An .mpc of what you are talking about may help. What line are you talking about it carving inside? Text has 3 settings (if you bought centerline)
    Raster
    Outline
    Centerline

Raster will leave the letters protruded from the wood unless inverted then it carves the letters into the wood.

Also how small of text are you trying to carve? If it's small raster is not the best option. Also try adding draft to text.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Default I am carving raster.

I haven't been able to afford centerline yet, and It won't do for this. Raster default is up - above the set depth. If you reverse it the letters are below the set depth. Reversed the carving is just as the picture shows. Non reversed - default - the carving is the outline, but like the reversed it carves inside the letters outline. If you drew a letter outline with a pencil, the carving is always inside that outline. Works fine for reversed, but subtracts 1/16" x 2 = 1/8 in from the width of the carving on the non-reversed. If there are narrow parts on the letters as with Times, they are carved to nothing.

Unhappy Also a wish made for future software updates...

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I haven't been able to afford centerline yet, and It won't do for this. Raster default is up - above the set depth. If you reverse it the letters are below the set depth. Reversed the carving is just as the picture shows. Non reversed - default - the carving is the outline, but like the reversed it carves inside the letters outline. If you drew a letter outline with a pencil, the carving is always inside that outline. Works fine for reversed, but subtracts 1/16" x 2 = 1/8 in from the width of the carving on the non-reversed. If there are narrow parts on the letters as with Times, they are carved to nothing.
    The unfortunate thing is that the bit cuts/carves down the CENTER of the cut path. That is why the letters seem smaller. One of the wishes I made LONG ago is that the carver be allowed to determine the cut path (inside, outside, or down the center of the line).
    Toymaker
    The Toymaker

One can not move forward until they leave the past behind

Lightbulb Try a Lil Drift..

Crestout,

Most fonts carved w/ raster and designed to protrude WILL have some pretty thin "legs & Arms." When you set the feather, most times that's not enough to "flare" the letters. Drift helps w/ this. It also helps w/ chipout with finer fonts. Also, don't forget to space 12-20, gives letter a little more pop. But you knew that Sorry.

Font- Bookman Old Style- Bold- Raster

#1 no drift 1/2 feather

#2 med drift 1/2 feather

Just an idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drift.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Default Help On "drift"?

Lollywood says to Crestout to try DRIFT. Is that a tool setting or command option, like "feather"? I can't find it in the Help manual or searching the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rstudley View Post
    Lollywood says to Crestout to try DRIFT. Is that a tool setting or command option, like "feather"? I can't find it in the Help manual or searching the posts.
    LOL....actually it is called DRAFT, here is where you can find it on the toolbar.

Audie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails draft1.jpg  
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve

Default Your Suggestions should help

All
    It would be great if we had the same option with lettering that we do with path cut - cut inside or outside the line. I think that using 1/2" flair and the draft setting ( I didn't know was there) as well as avoiding fonts with skinny parts will work out. I think that I will send a message to the software people with a suggestion - not the first one I have sent. One got answered with the new make pattern tool.
    Thanks for the help.
    Clint (cestout and Clint's Custom Carving)

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    All
    It would be great if we had the same option with lettering that we do with path cut - cut inside or outside the line. I think that using 1/2" flair and the draft setting ( I didn't know was there) as well as avoiding fonts with skinny parts will work out. I think that I will send a message to the software people with a suggestion - not the first one I have sent. One got answered with the new make pattern tool.
    Thanks for the help.
    Clint (cestout and Clint's Custom Carving)
    You can "offset" the cut path. When you click cut path you get your cut out control box, at the bottom is inset. Postive numbers move the path towards the inside of the line, negative numbers move it towards the outside of the line. A value of .125 is the max

When you first click cut path default is inside the path, flip cut moves it to the outside and then you can use the inset to further refine it as above.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"