Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: To 3D or not to 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz View Post
    Andrea, I was specifically talking about the 'clip art' that comes with the program, if you buy the full version. You are welcome to use that artwork in your own designs, but it would not be legal to simply make a copy of that clip art disk and pass it out to your friends, even if you did it free of charge.

As far as the design programs (Coreldraw, Photopaint, etc.)... you definitely have full rights to whatever you create from scratch.... so no, Corel has no say in what you create with their software.
    Ok Jon you have confused me!!! You stated this...To make patterns of all their clip art and give it away is pretty much the same thing as just giving away their clip art. So is , making patterns illegal or the same thing as making a disc and giving it away?

To make it clear I purchased Corel Draw X3 from Office Max and I registered the software with Corel

The comment I wish it never had came up, I meant that exactly I wish this has never happen. But is has and I can not change that. Nor was it a negative comment to those who sell patterns. In fact the opposite I was saying we have several great resources for true 3D patterns.

Thank you Jon I did ask for your help. I do not wish to create any problems for anyone. I would have never knowingly shared the patterns if I thought I was doing something wrong.

For the respect of the forum, all the patterns I made including the one I hand drew has been removed and it will never occur again.

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-06-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Ike, I am NOT referring to making patterns in general with Coreldraw....

I was talking about taking the clip art images that came with the Coreldraw Suite, and making patterns out of them... all I was saying that if a person takes a piece of clip art (THAT COREL CORPORATION MADE) off their disk and turn it into a pattern, it is not within their licensing to then broadcast that all over the web for free. That clip art is provided for you to use in your designs, (that you may sell to a customer even) but not to provide it to a second party who has not paid for the rights to use it in HIS design that he may end up selling.

If you are not talking about their clip art that they ship with Coreldraw.... then what does Corel Corp even have to do with it? They couldn't care less if you are designing Carvewright patterns, signs, logos, pink panties or nuclear bombs with their software... that's your business... the copyright issue has to do with the person who holds the rights to whatever image was used to make a pattern, not the software used to do the graphics work.

Me personally, I really really don't care and don't think it was a big deal. I sure wasn't suggesting that you remove all your patterns.

I was simply trying to explain how the Corel Corps licensing works and how LHR will be the ones held liable if a company ever complains about copyright violation.

And like I said, Ike, believe me, it's not the first time this has come up. It's been discussed at length different times on this forum as well as several other sign forums I'm on.... so don't feel like you started something.
    Last edited by Jon Jantz; 01-07-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Ike, I am NOT referring to making patterns in general with Coreldraw....

I was talking about taking the clip art images that came with the Coreldraw Suite, and making patterns out of them... all I was saying that if a person takes a piece of clip art (THAT COREL CORPORATION MADE) off their disk and turn it into a pattern, it is not within their licensing to then broadcast that all over the web for free. That clip art is provided for you to use in your designs, (that you may sell to a customer even) but not to provide it to a second party who has not paid for the rights to use it in HIS design that he may end up selling.

If you are not talking about their clip art that they ship with Coreldraw.... then what does Corel Corp even have to do with it? They couldn't care less if you are designing Carvewright patterns, signs, logos, pink panties or nuclear bombs with their software... that's your business... the copyright issue has to do with the person who holds the rights to whatever image was used to make a pattern, not the software used to do the graphics work.

Me personally, I really really don't care and don't think it was a big deal. I sure wasn't suggesting that you remove all your patterns.

I was simply trying to explain how the Corel Corps licensing works and how LHR will be the ones held liable if a company ever complains about copyright violation.

Jon you are correct I was using Corel clipart, which I have stated from the first of the patterns I made. When I PM you I was asking since I follow your methods. Not to put you on the spot!

I realize I can use their software to design any project. I have V Carve Pro and in their tutorials they demonstrate a project made in Corel and imported in V Carve.

I was lost after reading the last post, but understand what you are saying now.

Again wasn't trying to put you on the spot on the legality of the issue. Just was seeking what you may know since I have learned from your tutorials.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your help.

Ike

Hey, no problem. Didn't feel put on the spot at all..... was just explaining it a little. Whatever you do, keep making patterns and keep sharing. That's what makes this place cool is all the information and help you can get by reading this forum.....

Hey, no problem. Didn't feel put on the spot at all..... was just explaining it a little. Whatever you do, keep making patterns and keep sharing. That's what makes this place cool is all the information and help you can get by reading this forum.....

Glad you don't feel that way, but I am through! If I don't get the clipart from Corel, it comes from the web. Who knows where those images come from. I found a site that had the same images I have in my Corel CD. I think it was the original artist?

Too risky and too stressful! Thanks for teaching me some new tricks and for you help!

Ike

Hey man, don't get discouraged... it's a discussion that takes place on every design forum on the net pretty much...

... one last thing about the Corel Clip Art.... just for interest sake....

One thing that's a little crazy is that in their licensing they say you cannot resell, or in any way re-distribute the artwork in components by themselves..... it then mentions it you cannot just change it to a different format (which they would probably call making a pattern) and re-distribute it as a separate component....

However, you ARE allowed to incorporate their clip art into one of your original designs, and then you can do whatever you want to with it. So for example, say that the red oval below is a complicated piece of Corel clip art (it's not, it's just my 5 sec. example). I couldn't take it by itself and turn it into a pattern and then sell it or give it away....

However, in the next pic, I took the clip art and made a (2 minute) "design" or "logo" (which is a product).... the fictional piece of clip art is now incorporated into an original design by me, so it would be perfectly legal for me to make a pattern out it, sell it, give it away, carve it... whatever.

Now the big question is: how much work do you have to do for it to qualify for "incorporating it into my original design".... I don't know that. That's kinda like Badger commented above.... it's a good question.

Please forgive the rudimentary examples, I maybe should have taken 5 minutes instead of 2... hehehe..

***Disclaimer: I do not proclaim to be a lawyer.... all the above posts are strictly my interpretation of the licensing......***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red1.jpg   red2.jpg  

LOL..........BOOM Ike's phone here his head just exploded, his last words mumbling %$#% Corel!

Opps now I am copyrighting a major cell phone carrier!

Thanks Jon!!

Ike

8. Default

Ike, Maybe Corel should be paying you for all of the free advertisement you been giving them. People se your work then want to go buy corel. Matt.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Hey guys, I'm closing this thread at the OP's request.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122