Thread: Carving on a curve

1. Default Carving on a curve

Hello,

I am trying figure out how to carve something on a curved surface. I tried using the "dome" surface, but it doesn't seem to be able to create a severe enough arc. I attached a photo to show sort of what I am talking about.

I want to ultimately be able to put a carving on the curved surface of this piece (the right side in the photo)

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gavel.jpg  

Default mpc

Can you post the .mpc file for us to play with?

sw
    It's all about the XYZ baby!

3. Default No MPC

I didn't save any of the MPC files because none of them were right. I am starting from scratch.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by cholme@mac.com View Post
    Hello,

I am trying figure out how to carve something on a curved surface. I tried using the "dome" surface, but it doesn't seem to be able to create a severe enough arc. I attached a photo to show sort of what I am talking about.

I want to ultimately be able to put a carving on the curved surface of this piece (the right side in the photo)

Any ideas?
    I don’t think a peace that shape would fit in the CW machine. You would need a sled to carve on the Right (gray) side of that shape. The sled plus the carving would be over five inches. And carving depth is only one inch.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Default Grayscale PTN

You could make two carvings and glue them together. Make a Gray scale PTN. With a three to four inch board you could carve each side and plane a taper on the glue side to fit your image. Welcome and hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gray Side carving.jpg   Gray Side Gen..jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 11-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

It is not possibly to carve the shape you posted due to the depth limitations of a carving (0.80").

You could create a curve pattern matching the gray side to then have text/graphics follow the profile when carved into the piece. You will need to create a sled to support the piece for carving.

Rob

Default cholme

Using only the features in designer, 2 rectangles, a surface, text, this is a possibility.
    It's all about the XYZ baby!

Quote Originally Posted by cholme@mac.com View Post
    Hello,

Any ideas?
    I made a pattern for a paper weight or a lamp base to use your image. I think this is the largest size that the CW machine will carve. You could carve all four sides with a sled that uses 1/2 inch sides and ¼ inch base fitted with 4.5X4.5X3.5 inch ends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paper Weight.jpg   Paper Weight ptn.jpg  

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652