Thread: Teacher needs Carvewright solutions

Unhappy Teacher needs Carvewright solutions

I purchased the carver for my woodworking classes and have spent more time fixing problems than using it. There are less than 16 hours on the tool and I have replaced the motor and track belts. Now tests tell me that I need a new sensor. I need help because I don't have money in my budget for a new sensor. When I spoke to a salesmen at the MITES convention in Michigan all he had to say was that he agreed the first carvers were real lemons but did not offer any help. Should I unload it and move on? All suggestions are appreciated.

Default the bright side

I was in the same boat when i first purchased mine. After replacing almost every replacable part, i have been trouble free for quite some time now. I think the first generation of parts were the problem, after several new designs and upgrades, all seems better in the long run.
    What type of sensor do you need? Board sensor?
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

If it's the board sensor it's only $15.00 plus S&H. If the CW is still under warranty I think that part is covered.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

I moved this thread here from the troubleshooting section so it will not get erased. One thing to consider is that with so few hours on your machine it is likely still covered under warranty. I would suggest giving CW a call and talk to one of their technicians.
    and I have replaced the motor and track belts
    By, motor I'm guessing you mean the Z-axis motor. They did come out with a more robust assembly I'm assuming that is what you put in. Was it covered under warranty?

By 'track belts' I'm guessing you mean the sandpaper drive belts. Typically when you have problems with them ripping it is related to getting a board jammed in the machine. Other causes might me having the head not level (from shipping or cranking down on a un-level board), or having the head pressure too high (which you can check with bathroom scales.) Generally this is a 'pilot error' once you figure out what you did then you know what to look for/avoid next time.

I've had a sled, that I made as large as possible, get stuck in the machine and luckily I saw the sandpaper belts slipping under it and was able to stop it before any damage was done. I shaved a little off of it and have used it for more than a year with no problems.

I'm not sure what sensor your referring to, but it it is the board sensor than often it is just dirty and can be cleaned. You can look at it with a mirror to see.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!