Thread: Font / Lettering Question

Question Font / Lettering Question

Hi everyone,

I need some help with lettering. What are some of the fonts that some you more experienced folks are using for the best results in carving text. I'm strictly a hobbyist only using my machine now and again and therefore probably need more practice (I'm trying to improve my skills but it's difficult when you work 14-16 hours a day 6 days a week). Anyway, I'm not always happy with my lettering results. What are some of the fonts that will yield the best results, i.e. size, style etc. I do have the centerline software and 90 and 60 degree bits. Any help, advice or suggestions would be very appreciated, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by SJF View Post
    Hi everyone,

I need some help with lettering. What are some of the fonts that some you more experienced folks are using for the best results in carving text. I'm strictly a hobbyist only using my machine now and again and therefore probably need more practice (I'm trying to improve my skills but it's difficult when you work 14-16 hours a day 6 days a week). Anyway, I'm not always happy with my lettering results. What are some of the fonts that will yield the best results, i.e. size, style etc. I do have the centerline software and 90 and 60 degree bits. Any help, advice or suggestions would be very appreciated, thank you!!
    For raised lettering within a carve region - Bold, sans serif fonts, apply a draft, 3/16" or less in height from the surface, work well

For recessed lettering - centerline works well with nearly all serif and script fonts
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

NorthWest PA, Just a few miles South of Erie

You can't have EVERYTHING - where would you PUT it?

SJF,

You might also want to read a little about adding Draft to your Text,
    to help prevent chip out of the letters.
    Draft Settings?????
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

For Centerline I like "Black Chancery" the best with the 90 degree bit and two fonts I use quite often for raster are "Georgia" and "Magik" and with raster I keep the fonts about .08" in height with a small draft from the carve region. I belive all can be found at:
    http://www.dafont.com/

Lin

Default Raised Lettering

I am trying to figure out how to do raised lettering on a plaque and have read everything and still can not do it. Can someone walk me thru it?

Dale ( who feels really confused and old right now)

Default Raised Lettering

Quote Originally Posted by dale616 View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to do raised lettering on a plaque and have read everything and still can not do it. Can someone walk me thru it?

Dale ( who feels really confused and old right now)
    You must place Raised Lettering in a Carve area. You may create the text or the Carve Area first, but you will need both.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29