Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need suggestions for sanding my projects

Default I need suggestions for sanding my projects

I finally got my first project completed without any problems. Now I am now sure how to go about sanding all of the carvings little crevices without destrying the details. Yes, I could do it by hand, but I sure would like to find some way that is faster. Any suggestions from a more seasoned carver?

Do a search using 'sanding'. You'll find loads of tips and product suggestions. My personal favorite is the 3M bristle discs.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Do a search using 'sanding'. You'll find loads of tips and product suggestions. My personal favorite is the 3M bristle discs.
    I'll second that! The 3M discs are used on EVERY project I make! 80 grit (yellow discs) and 220 grit (red discs) are my favorites. I stack 3 discs together at a time on the mandrel for my variable-speed Dremel.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Try searching sanding mop as well.

You can also use dremel grinding stones to sand.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

I like the sanding mop. Just use a light touch.
    Louie

Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it annoys the pig and is a waste of your time. - Mark Twain

6. Smile

I've been hand sanding the little details and it was taking the fun out of the carve. I've checked out the 3M site and now I'm really excited! Can you find them in any of the chain stores or do you need to buy off the Web? This is great!

Default from another post

I was paying this thread attention. Looks real promising to me.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ight=sandblast
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Default Sanding mop

I make my own sanding mops, they are cheap to make, and last a long time. I found some (End run’s) sand paper rolls from Kingsport. One roll was 180 grit, 2inches wide, and 380 yards. That will last me the rest of my life. I use a ¼ inch air die grinder purchased from Harbor Freight for about $7.00. You need to run these sanding mops at high-speed. I spray my carvings with sanding sealer, let dry. It does a great job removing the fuzzes. It will sand and buff your carvings in just a few minutes. See my other Post’s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sanding Mop.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 09-30-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I like to use carving chisels to get into the crevices. A good set isn't cheap (and there is a learning curve) but I was using them long before I got the CW.

I have been using a mop for my routed stuff for years, long before CW. It doesn't hurt the detail, but deburs nicely. I got mine at a Woodworking show but there website is http://www.rjrstudios.com/index.php. They might seem a little expensive but mine is about maybe 7 years old and still going strong. I use it in a drill-press.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast