Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom gun grips

Default checkering

Michael.Thanks again for the tip on the checkering application. I did the scan and then went for the checkering as if I knew what I was doing. It came out great. I do have another two questions for you. If I want to add to the overall thickness say about 1/16" how do I do it for the entire surface? When working in adobe and I add 1 black pixel around the outside edge then just how much is it adding? The first set I made, I made in pine I even had my wifes name on it turn out. I think before I ever try the bacote I'll just turn the air filter on and leave the shop. The oil in that real fine dust will put anyone down for 12 hours. Michael, thanks again for your help
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Quote Originally Posted by leesheridan View Post
    Michael.Thanks again for the tip on the checkering application. I did the scan and then went for the checkering as if I knew what I was doing. It came out great. I do have another two questions for you. If I want to add to the overall thickness say about 1/16" how do I do it for the entire surface? When working in adobe and I add 1 black pixel around the outside edge then just how much is it adding? The first set I made, I made in pine I even had my wifes name on it turn out. I think before I ever try the bacote I'll just turn the air filter on and leave the shop. The oil in that real fine dust will put anyone down for 12 hours. Michael, thanks again for your help
    Hi Mike,

Sorry, just saw your message -

You can easily add 1/16 overall thickness in the Pattern Editor. Open the pattern in the PE and just type in the existing thickness plus .063 (that's slightly more than 1/16", but should be close enough). Then re-save the pattern and there you have it!

A black pixel would either be "0" or "256" height in greyscale value - depends if the Photoshop pic has to be inverted or not in Designer. Jeff Birt figured out a formula for determining height using greyscale values awhile back and posted it somewhere in the Forum (I THINK in the Techniques section but not positive). I didn't search for it myself, but you can probably locate it if you need to.

All the Best.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default How about 9MM?

Has anyone done grips for a 9MM? I have a Taurus 92 (same design as the Beretta model) that has a stainless steel barrel and black frame. I'm thinking grips made from purple heart would look awesome.
    Brady
    Sometimes you gotta break it to fix it.

4. Default 1911 Pistol Grip

I downloaded these from cncguns.com and made a thread and used this as an example about using CAD Software and CarvePic.

This thread is right on the topic for someone looking to make these.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911LEFT.jpg   1911RIGHT.jpg  

5. Default 1911 Pistol Grips

Better post the *ptn.

Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Default Scaling Pistol

Refering to below Pistol grip ptn. When importing, The exact dims are 4.263 Length * 1.471 Height * .255 Depth. May have to add addtional .050" to the length when importing, because I did not remove the original bmp border when pasting over.

Quote Originally Posted by etmaterial View Post
    Refering to below Pistol grip ptn. When importing, The exact dims are 4.263 Length * 1.471 Height * .255 Depth. May have to add addtional .050" to the length when importing, because I did not remove the original bmp border when pasting over.
    You say the depth is .255 how thick is the material your using cause depending on thickness of material will determine finale thickness of grip unless you lower it.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

8. Default

Right

It sounds like the height will require some offset based on import height/material height.

Those are just the reference final machine dims from CAD software and the Page 40 drawing of Blueprint (cncguns.com) so that the model imports and scales to the right width.

I just got the machine a few days ago for Christmas, and was using the software conversion method as a proof of concept to myself and wanted to share method.

Eric

You can try scaling the pattern 1/16 " larger overall for the 1/16 carving bits taper as well, based on depth of cut.

LG

10. Default

Well noticed this thread after the fact. But here's half of a buttplate for one of my rifles. Used the same technique just from scratch on three layers. 1. vertical dome 2. inverted horizontal dome 3. checkering. My new machine should be in today. I've got designs up the @#$ already and haven't gotten my hands on the machine yet.

Thanks

MH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buttplate.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast