Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom gun grips

Default grips

I've done some work in Corian but never thought of it for grips. It sounds like a good idea though. The gun Im working on now is just a heritage 22LR SA. It's my wifes gun and I have a nice piece of Bocote that would give it a nice look. I was going to scan it today but started working on a mantels art work again. How far out are you sanding the corian grips?
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Sorry i'm not understanding the question ---How far out are you sanding the corian grips?

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

I think he meens how fine a grit are you using.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    I think he meens how fine a grit are you using.
    later Daniel
    I used 160 or 220 they both got the corian back slick again then on a bench buffer i used carnuba wax. Also on some i did not sand at all left like a rough dimple tecture over the whole grip then just buffed with the carnuba wax. Did have to sand bottom of side of grips where they get cut out just to take out the high spots

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Major_A View Post
    If someone wanted to scan in some 1911 grips that would be nice.

As soon as I have time to use my probe I will scan some 1911 grips for you!

Ike

I've been wanting to play around with making some grips myself. I have several different types of 1911 grips as well as Beretta 92/96 grips I can scan.

I'm just stuck on the type of wood to use for it.

Of course first mind is walnut, thought of mrtyle wood or something different!

Ike

8. Default

I want some Bacote grips on my blued 1911. You can get a nice piece of Bacote for relatively cheap (cheaper than the price of a custom grip).

http://www.centaurarchery.com/images...ote2-small.jpg

I was thinking of trying some ebony. One of my 1911's is stainless steel and a nice black grip would look great.

Default 1911 Gun Grips

Here is a pair of 1911 grip straight from scan so you can play with it as you like.
    A couple of things to keep in mind : Since this has had nothing done to it round edges lower it till you get to the thickness of the grip you want, and remember when you place it on your project board in designer you want it lowered not carved at top or your grips will be to thick. For example if you had this on a 1/2" board and you carved it @100% height your grip will be 1/2" thick. The only thing you should have to do to the back is file the top of one of them where the safety and slid is. A 1/2' round file works great and only takes 1 or 2 minutes. One last thing is you will probally want to clean up screw hole. A forstner bit in a drill press worked best for me was able to sink screws down and looked reel clean. Have fun and show some pictures.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Ed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast