Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom gun grips

Default Custom gun grips

I have had the probe for over a year now but haven't had time to use it for the work I bought it for. I will be scanning gun grips to be able to customize them with new ones from the CW. Can anyone tell me how to put checkering onto the curved surface for the new ones to be cut?
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Quote Originally Posted by leesheridan View Post
    I have had the probe for over a year now but haven't had time to use it for the work I bought it for. I will be scanning gun grips to be able to customize them with new ones from the CW. Can anyone tell me how to put checkering onto the curved surface for the new ones to be cut?
    Hi Mike - Just use the Surface Tool for the curve and select "Checkering 2" for whatever shape you want the texture to be carved on.

EDIT: That may not work after all - You'll need to have a pattern already on the board (your grip), then create an outline of the area you want checkered and position it over your pattern. Assign the outline a Texture (Checkering 2, say, at .065 size) and set the outline to "Merge Additive". That should work. NOTE: You'll adjust the depth of the texture with the Height Settings - not Depth.

I did a very crude example in about 2 minutes - see photo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GunGripTexture.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-17-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thumbs up Custom gun grips

Michael, it sounds simple enough. I'll try the scan today. I'll let you know.
    Thanks
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

I also have been working on a stock for the Remington 12 ga so I can customize our department's patrol stocks. Work in progress will let you all know when its finished.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Default Bravo!

Michael, It's simply just amazing what your able to do with this machine and software. You need to be for hire! I'll be watching this thread, thanks guys.
    Using 1.178

6. Default

If someone wanted to scan in some 1911 grips that would be nice.

Default invert cut path?

While trying to checker gun grips, I used outline pattern for checkering and put an outline grove around checkering that I would like to invert to pattern is there a way? Maybe just make a solid line on outline.

checkered grips 3.mpc
    thanks so much!
    karl

I don't know much about gun grips...but this is an interesting topic to me.

Isn't the other side of the grip to be concaved?
    How are you doing that?

Default Custom gun grips

Some are but most of those that I have are on newer guns that have plastic grips. I have a set in front of me now that are flat and made of wood but they have just a single hole for alignment and stops the grips from moving when the gun is fired. That's easily fixed with a drill bit after the carve.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Quote Originally Posted by leesheridan View Post
    Some are but most of those that I have are on newer guns that have plastic grips. I have a set in front of me now that are flat and made of wood but they have just a single hole for alignment and stops the grips from moving when the gun is fired. That's easily fixed with a drill bit after the carve.
    What gun are you carving for ? I had been working on some like 1911 scanned it in and was trying to get every thing work out on it but put it on back burner. Had cut several in 1/2 in. corian and they really looked sharp.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast