Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often are you forced to replace your QC?

Default How often are you forced to replace your QC?

I have to replace my QC again, , after learning my lesson the second time. . . I make sure the bit is very secure in the QC, but after a while the QC still gets messed up.

so question #1 - how often are you forced to replace your QC because it wont keep the bit secure anymore?

#2 - are there any tricks to making a QC last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by bayea View Post
    I have to replace my QC again, , after learning my lesson the second time. . . I make sure the bit is very secure in the QC, but after a while the QC still gets messed up.

so question #1 - how often are you forced to replace your QC because it wont keep the bit secure anymore?

#2 - are there any tricks to making a QC last longer?

Proper cleaning and lube! I always tap my QC while holding the release up. You would be amazed how much compacted saw dust comes out. You can blow it out it using a 1/4" bent copper tube. Then use 3 and 1 oil and lightly lube the release.

Now if you continue to break QC there may be more going on. Are your bits properly seated in the holder? Are your holders worn?

If it is not holding the bit I would clean and lube it well and then check the bit holders for wear.

Ike

3. Default

I have had alot of problems with my QC as well. I just got a new one and its already sticking. Proper cleaning is a must. As well with the whole machine. I too clean and lube the QC. I also put a small dab of lube on the collet before putting it in the machine to ensure release. I still have struggles with the QC. Until something new and greater comes along, i dont know. Also as the other gentleman stated check your collets for wear. Improper wear on the collets can contribute to QC problems.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

I have started using canned air (the stuff for computers) to spray up into the bit holder. The tubes are flexible and it really removes alot of stuff.

Red face

I keep a spare $29.95 plus s&h on hand, after my 3 week ordeal in getting a bit out

I know my machines very well and I was shocked that the QC was in need of replacement SO SOON.... and it started with the 1/8 inch bit. I do a Cut PATH on every project and I believe this accelerated wear of the QC is the result of the AGGRESSIVE 1.130 Cut Path.

I really wish that someone would come out with a after market replacement spindle with a standard router bit holder on it.... 2 wrenches and less hassle.

Being around Machine Shops in the Navy, my brother was a Machinist making parts for Subs. It would be a project for R Justice.... You send in your Spindle and get it back with new bearings and a compression spindle.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Solid Chuck

Hello,I took my old QC apart and removed the cone that holds the adapter, I slid a new adapter inside and tack welded it . Now I have a solid backup and it works as well as the original .If I need to change bits the set screws are still accessible.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Good idea but I change bits all the time.... The length of the 1/8 inch bit and the leverage works against us too. Time for and "Anatomy of the Spindle".....

Take a shaft out and get some Machine Shop to look at the idea... TOO bad that LHR did not use the same thread as the QC that Sears sells.... Then a Friction Locking bit holder could be put on the spindle.

Hey R Justice got anything in the works.....? Got 3 machines.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I disassembled the QC, and used J-B Weld to hold the bit adapter into the stripped down chuck. Works great (haven't had a problem since), but as Al points out, I only have use of the 1/16" carving bit, which is all I really need, although now I wish to dabble with the 1/8" fluted bit.

(See my earlier post http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...d+modification)

On my next iteration of modifying the QC to hold a 1/8" fluted bit, I'm not going to use as much locktite on the QC spindle and give that a try. I've had a number of occasions where the QC as designed worked itself loose (ie, unthreaded itself from the spindle), but believe this is due to a wobbling bit adapter (from wear) in the QC, as evidenced by the bit adapter screws wearing the QC in the direction of unthreading. With a J-B Welded bit adapter, there is no room for the "wobbles", and thus no reverse torque on the QC...

Jonathan Trent
    Leonardtown, MD
    Last edited by JLT; 09-13-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Default QC

Al,
    Yes i have 3 versions designed, the first one has been tested and ready to go to production. I just need time to get them made, and then will offer it up for you guys.... Sorry for the big delay.
    Had to throw the big wedding for my only daughter last weekend, and have been working many OT hours at my "Day Job" on top of that ... lol

I will try to get something out to you guys soon....

Thank you for your patience!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast