Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long

1. Default how long

for an 18" project how much longer should my wood be

add 7" if you not going to use a sled or carrier board

I'm glad someone brought this up - I've been wondereing about this for a while.

So you have to use a sled or carrier board if you want to edge route any project? Or is it only if you want to carve within 3.5 inches of the the edge? The attached video link shows the machine routing all edges without a sled.
    http://wood-carving-machine-tips.com/Videos/Video1.html

Is this method risky?
    John

If you don't like cussing you'll want to stay out of my shop!

Is this method risky?
    it will work, but if your running more than one part..

One of the best ways I think, is to build a sled and add the tails of 4" or longer on the ends of the sled.

So if I have a finished project of 18" long and 6" wide

make a sled that's 26.50" long and 12" wide, no need to use the "keep under roller option at all" and I never do for sled use.

layout Designer to reflect your sled size and center your wood, use brass screws to hold the work centered in the jig.

Here is a jig i made for a guitar headstock overlay. I used the carvewright to make the jig and cut the pattern.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    One of the best ways I think, is to build a sled and add the tails of 4" or longer on the ends of the sled.

So if I have a finished project of 18" long and 6" wide

make a sled that's 25" long and 12" wide, no need to use the "keep under roller option at all" and I never do.

layout Designer to reflect your jig size and center your wood, use brass screws to hold the work centered in the jig.

LG
    Hi LG,

Just so the folks don't get confused, your projects actually are under the rollers at all times, because the sled provides the extra length required to do so.

To clarify, you opt to say "No" to the Stay Under Rollers prompt, but because the sled length is sufficient (7" or more longer than the actual stock being tooled), the project does remain under the rollers in spite of the fact that you are selecting "no".
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

yes! thanks MT

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 08-06-2008 at 10:51 AM.

7. Default

when I get my machine back I will try your suggestions....bought it in feb and it never worked so I sent it back hope it hurrys up and gets returned

If my project is longer than 7", no extra length need to be added. That is if you use version 1.26.
    Version 1.30 will give error (possible board removal) as soon as the board leave the back roller so you need about 3" or 6" extra.
    I don't want to wasted any of my piece of wood.

HT

If you come up with a sled you will only loose 1" max.

I not seeing this issue with 1.130 are your outfeed rollers dirty?

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 08-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.

I don't loose any of my stock?? I just finished two 7 x 18 plaques. Cut my boards 7 x 18. Put them in my 36" long perimeter sled centered and bingo, perfect every time.

I always choose stay under rollers. Why not? It's going to anyway with that long a sled.

Is there some advantage to saying "no" to under rollers when your sled will be there anyway??......I don't see any.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast