Thread: Centerline depth question

Default Centerline depth question

I did my first sign on my new CW and it looks 'ok'. However, I'd prefer that the letters not be cut so deep. I've tried the "Select Depth Profile" but it really distorts the letters. Is there a way to control the depth and still maintain a decent looking letter?

Thanks,
    Rocky

Not so far as I know. I've been asking for control over the centerline depth (as well as many other things) since last year. I agree that in most cases, I'd like it to be not so deep. The depth is based on the width of the font so the V60 cuts a bit deeper than the V90 does.

But like the Inset/Offset we can apply to vector paths, would it be so hard to let us do the same with centerline depths?

A question for the algorithm geeks I guess.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

It would be nice, but:

What about fonts like Times New Roman, True Types. The depth changes with the width, as far as I have seen. On a recent commission using TNR, 8" tall letters, in an N for example, the tails at the ends are about 1/8" wide and deep, while the widest parts of the letter is around 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep.
    If we could control the deepest carve area wouldn't the 'tails' at the ends disappear? For block type fonts I guess it would work.

Default Yes you have to be in control yourself

Well obviously you would have to actually pay attention to how you use it. My absolute favorite font is Mono type Corsiva. It varies in width also but I could adjust the depth to less without loosing those details. In most cases (for me), we're not talking about a big change, but just enough to make it the way "I" want it. More control is ALWAYS a good thing in my book.

After all, you can adjust the depth of a skill-saw but if you're cutting a 2 x 4 and you set the depth to an 1", you won't cut all the way through. The user obviously has to set it right for the job and material (in this case fonts) at hand.

Forgive me Ken but it's exactly that kind of thinking that takes control over things "out of our hands".
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

As a "CW newbie", I thought perhaps I was just unable to find a depth option for Centerline text. I'm happy to hear it's an issue with others. Hopefully in the near future there will be an upgrade to address this.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Rocky