Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bits and Machine Usage

Default Quite possibly was

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    To be honest Chris, even though I was standing right next to my machine when two of the three bits broke, I couldn't tell you if the cut motor was running fast or not. I got so used to it happening that I don't really even notice much anymore.
    In my experience Terry, the turbo always started anywhere from about 5% to 25% into the carve. If yours is anything like mine, chances are pretty good it was running fast.

I have a meeting to attend at 11:00 this morning and I just got home from Al's so my test is a bit delayed. Al handed me a cut motor this morning so as soon as I get back, I'll put the theory to the test. I'll post my findings as soon as possible.

run...run...see Chris RUN!!! LOL
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Exclamation The Test

OK folks. Running the test to see if the turbo speed up has an adverse effect with 1.130

The test subject is a 48 minute carve on "Best" in # 1 pine

Brand new cut motor & 1/8" cutter.

Specs on the picture........

I just heard it finish the pattern Carve. No TURBO so far...COOL. Going to feed it the next bit.

First edit........ Fed it the V90 for the text and it's cutting now. Still no turbo...looking good...going back to watch....

Second Edit.... Fed it the V60 for the inner and outer borders. Still no turbo....ever so slight burning on the text on most letters mainly on the bottom sweeps of the letters....going back to watch....

Third Edit.......Nervously fed it the brand new 1/8" cutter. Still no turbo.....V60 cuts look perfect...no signs of burning....HURRYING BACK TO WATCH....lol

Forth Edit & Preliminary Conclusions:

The new cut motor experienced no turbo mode at all. That's a first from day 1. The cut went fine. While I know I keep my bits clean, I'll concede the very slight burn marks in the test because, wouldn't you know it, I ran out of cleaner right before this test so I can't say it's perfect. I also know my other 1/8" was clean and sharp when it smoked the shop last time.

While I feel more tests are called for, This leads me to conclude so far that the turbo mode of my other motor was indeed a large part, if not THE cause, of "my" issues with burning. The jury is still out with me as I'll test further but it seems I may have to humbly work on pulling my foot out of my mouth and apologize to all (Listening LG??...Michael T??...LHR???), for "assuming" the new firmware was solely at fault. As Jeff suspected, it seems the new firmware just exaggerated an already existing problem (Turbo speed) with the machine.

The results: Pictures 2 & 3..he silently slinks away....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Test Carve.jpg   Test Carve results 1.jpg   Test Carve results 2.jpg  
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 07-28-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Hey Chris. This is the perfect situation for the new wireless laaptop. You can be right by the machien giving us a play-by-play.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Hey Chris. This is the perfect situation for the new wireless laaptop. You can be right by the machien giving us a play-by-play.
    What? Are you CRAZY????...lol You want me to bring me new HP Pavilion 9000 17" screen laptop that I haven't even taught to "Talk" and "Listen" to me yet.... INTO MY SHOP????.....

I'd sooner SHOOT MY FOOT Jeff.....
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

What? Are you CRAZY????...lol You want me to bring me new HP Pavilion 9000 17" screen laptop that I haven't even taught to "Talk" and "Listen" to me yet.... INTO MY SHOP????.....

I'd sooner SHOOT MY FOOT Jeff.....

Wuse!!! D'ya buy it cause it's purty or to use??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ugly.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	14220

Red face

I do with my new 17" IBM laptop, even bought a another set of Licenses so I could have CW Designer on a third computer.
    But I didn't know I had to shoot myself in the foot --- sounds a little drastic. Guess I should have asked first.

Ps.Wuse!!! I think I dated her once in the 9TH grade
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-28-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Huston do you read?? Is Texas still there?

What happened?? All of a sudden, the website she was gone! Testing 1...2...3..4..
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Wuse,

Nice pic ... Can you cook too ?

Michael

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it .
    Michael
    WA8MCI

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    OK folks. Running the test to see if the turbo speed up has an adverse effect with 1.130

The test subject is a 48 minute carve on "Best" in # 1 pine

Brand new cut motor & 1/8" cutter.

Specs on the picture........

I just heard it finish the pattern Carve. No TURBO so far...COOL. Going to feed it the next bit.

First edit........ Fed it the V90 for the text and it's cutting now. Still no turbo...looking good...going back to watch....

Second Edit.... Fed it the V60 for the inner and outer borders. Still no turbo....ever so slight burning on the text on most letters mainly on the bottom sweeps of the letters....going back to watch....

Third Edit.......Nervously fed it the brand new 1/8" cutter. Still no turbo.....V60 cuts look perfect...no signs of burning....HURRYING BACK TO WATCH....lol

Forth Edit & Preliminary Conclusions:

The new cut motor experienced no turbo mode at all. That's a first from day 1. The cut went fine. While I know I keep my bits clean, I'll concede the very slight burn marks in the test because, wouldn't you know it, I ran out of cleaner right before this test so I can't say it's perfect. I also know my other 1/8" was clean and sharp when it smoked the shop last time.

While I feel more tests are called for, This leads me to conclude so far that the turbo mode of my other motor was indeed a large part, if not THE cause, of "my" issues with burning. The jury is still out with me as I'll test further but it seems I may have to humbly work on pulling my foot out of my mouth and apologize to all (Listening LG??...Michael T??...LHR???), for "assuming" the new firmware was solely at fault. As Jeff suspected, it seems the new firmware just exaggerated an already existing problem (Turbo speed) with the machine.

The results: Pictures 2 & 3..he silently slinks away....

That is some good info and may very well be the cause of my problems too. My 1.13 tests were on the used CW and it would go into turbo mode after about a minute or so. Will have to test on my returned CW that never went into turbo.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Default Turbo

This begs the question "what should folks do that have machines that go TURBO?"
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast