Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bits and Machine Usage

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Very true and I won't bore you with just how much "else" I have to do but like any other shop tool, prudence demands keeping an eye on things. Especially running things...lol.

As an official (and I think first) member of the 10+ carve club...lol, I did a 15 hour carve once so I know about the hours it takes for some projects. Still, every 15 minutes......Clean, Clean, Clean....lol
    Chris:
    ABSOLUTELY! The machine needs a cleaning every 15-20 minutes. It allows you to pause production, clean it out and start back to carving. Allowing sawdust to build in the carving chamber risks the dust getting between the piece and the rollers. This can create many problems. By the way...great job on the trim you did for the house!
    The Little Box Shop
    www.thelittleboxshop.com

I agree. The machine needs to be cleaned frequently when in use. When the fire started in mine it was within the first minute of carving. the only dust was from the cutpath and it was only a 2"x3" area i was cutting. it hadn't even made its first pass around the rectangle. When my machine is 'carving' I will leave it alone and go inside. But...when it is doing cutpaths or cutouts I am always right there with it. Expecially now, I WATCH it instead of just being there with it.

-Phil

OK Folks, We all know now what you think, we also know that LHR is going to redo the software. So, cool it on this issue or this entire thread will vanish.
    I suddenly have lots of time to monitor this discussion.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Seems a "tad" harsh but if that's how you feel, make it go away, wouldn't break my heart.

But first, I was just talking with someone and we "may" have discovered a possible cause to "some" folks problems. At least in my case, if this pans out, it's not really the firmware.

Since the day I got my CW almost a year ago, the cut motor has gone into turbo mode within every carve. I thought it was strange (and probably not right) but my baby has always cut like a champ so I never addressed the issue. Now however, with the new feed rates, that extra spindle speed may explain the burning "I" have had.

I may be guilty of jumping to conclusions in the recent past. If anyone else is having the same "turbo" cut motor speed issues and are also experiencing burning or breaking bits, this just might be the cause.

I intend to put the theory to the test in the morning. After fixing the RPM sensor, If we're right, the problem should go away. Just goes to show ya, the one thing you know is...you never know.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Chris,

Excellent point!

This is the first tread that I came to when I got on so I do not know what has been said other places but you might be on to something. It would be great to here from those who are having the problem if their cut motor is responding the same way.

I do know that after I replaced the magnet in my cut motor it did stop the turbo drive speed up. I have jumped my firmware back until there is better knowledge of the problems..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Well it was brought to my attention by another member. I don't feel it would be right for me to name him but he knows who he is and if this pans out, he deserves the credit. I'll leave it him to come forward should he choose to though.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

7. Default

I may be wrong here but... My machine used to get the old "check cut motor" error with every project run. Just pressed enter and it kept going, but the cut motor would run at full speed. At that time the board was full of folks asking about the CCM error.

Since 1.126 came out You don't see folks getting the CCM or at least they don't mention it here much anymore. But, after upgrading to 1.126 I have never received the "check cut motor" error. I do however have the "turbo mode" thing going on. Actually the same issue as with the CCM. When you pushed enter to continue the cut motor would run at full speed. Now, it seems you don't have to hit enter to continue, the machine does it automatically. I think it is the same issue but the software since 1.126 just eliminated the "push enter to continue".

Maybe??

I would agree Terry and since you're one of the "experienced" users like me, and have had the same issues, I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Faster cut motor, new feed rates, burning and breaking...Hmmmm.

Chris
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

9. Default

To be honest Chris, even though I was standing right next to my machine when two of the three bits broke, I couldn't tell you if the cut motor was running fast or not. I got so used to it happening that I don't really even notice much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Chris,

I do know that after I replaced the magnet in my cut motor it did stop the turbo drive speed up. I have jumped my firmware back until there is better knowledge of the problems..
    I used to get that motor speed up, but when lhr rebuilt my cut motor the last time I sent it to them. Now that issue doesn't exist anymore

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast