Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bits and Machine Usage

1. Exclamation Bits and Machine Usage

A problem was reported in the thread, <http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013>, where a board caught was reported to have caught fire. We have discovered that this problem was caused by the use of a ½” straight bit. Although the ½” straight bit is listed in the Designer software, no CarveWright ½” bits have been released and therefore the ½” straight bit was not supported.

Several users have reported more minor burning issues, and our experience suggests that this is primarily a result of bit condition or in some cases the material being cut. However, we are looking into the quality problems described, and if verified will provide improvements in future software releases.

In light of the problems described, we at LHR feel it is important to reiterate the following information:

Do Not Run the CarveWright Machine Unattended
    The CarveWright Woodworking System is an automated tool and cannot adapt to quality issues such as burning. A variety of issues including bit type, bit condition, wood type, and wood moisture level can affect the quality of cuts. For these reasons, as specified in the manual, the CarveWright Woodworking System should never be run unattended. Further should smoking or extreme vibration be observed, the user should immediately halt the operation of the CarveWright.

Use Only CarveWright Bits
    The CarveWright Woodworking System should only be used with CarveWright branded bits. CarveWright bits are selected because they are plungeable, and the CarveWright machine is optimized to run with these bits. LHR cannot warrant the use of none CarveWright bits due to the wide variations in styles and quality of other manufacturers.

Maintain Bits in Good Condition
    Bits should be maintained in good condition; dull or chipped bits should be replaced. Bits should be kept clean with pitch or gum removers. Our experience and research suggests that bits have 100-200ft lifetime, when cutting double-sided cuts. However, your mileage will vary based on the materials you are cutting and specific bit profiles.

Material Heating and Handling
    Like many woodworking tools, the CarveWright Woodworking System employs a high speed cutter to shape the wood. Due to the high speeds and qualities of the woods being cut, heating of the wood and chips/sawdust is a possibility. Therefore, operation of the machine must be monitored and care must be taken when handling or disposing of the sawdust. Allow sawdust to cool prior to disposal.
    --
    The CarveWright Team

Although I fully understand what you are saying and I am not disputing anything reffering to your statement about never leaving the CW unattended, I would like to say that it would be very hard to stay in the same room with this machine for hours at a time. The machine is very loud, even when wearing a good set of ear plugs. Heck, I find it hard to even stand next to it for more then 10/15 mins
    Andrea

Watching it burn and break bits wouldn't help much in my view. Just give us the choice of multiple passes and.....problem solved. Keep the single pass for lighter thinner materials. that's GREAT, but allow us to choose. Everything else about the update I like very much.

I won't get long winded here but I use the same wood I always have (most always pine), the bit "was" sharp and clean (although not any more), and I've NEVER had this issue before. EVER! When I went back to 1.126, issue gone. Now I have over 300 cut hours on the "machine" but obviously, only a fraction of that is with the cutting bit so I'm sure it's nowhere near the 200 hour expected life. I use every bit there is in the set. I also had some burning with the V bits in Centerline for the first time.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Alright guys, a few of these posts are going a bit too far and have been removed. If you would like to offer constructive criticism, great, this is a good place to do that. If you just want to throw a temper tantrum, this is not the place.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I rest my case.
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve

6. Default Just my thoughts

I have my own two cents to put in here....I work in an aerospace machine shop with many CNC machines. One of the fastest ways for our machinists to become unemployed is to leave a machine unattended. Unexpected errors happen all the time with automated equipment. You never know when a tool is going to break, or material is somehow going to slip. Why should be carvewright be any different. I am not staying that I sit with my machine every second that it runs, but I am right there the whole time the 1/8" cutting bit is running. I have had too many close calls with that particular bit.

I support the idea to have a drop down with options regarding cut paths. I cut allot of 1/4" foam for my RC aircraft with the carvewright. I was excited when I heard about the new cut path features with the 1.13 update. Unfortunately it cuts my foam at the exact same speed as taking multiple passes in 1.126. If I had the option to cut my paths at the maximum feed rate I would be much happier. As of currently it takes me about 4 hours to cut out the parts for my F-15. If I could cut at the same speed 1.126 went, only at full depth I could have my parts in 1 hour.

Default My input

Dont use 1.130 if your not willing to chance your cutting bits to breaking or being charred. I have only used it for the test i performed in this thread

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013
    Post 17

I did only use the 1/8 cutting bit from lhr also. Until the techs release an update, its your best guess wheather or not the type of wood used is too dense for that cut rate.
    If you still wish to use it, do a practice run first.
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

I agree about not leaving the machine unattended (for long). Look back through the history of my posts and you'll see I've always been an advocate of vacuuming it out "every 15 minutes" of cutting. BUT, when I watched it do a cutout (I always watch that operation in case a part might come loose), it was smoking inside 20 seconds. Had I run upstairs for a minute or two...well...who knows. Now i wasn't afraid of it starting a fire because of how meticulously clean I keep it (Before, During & After every use). But if I were the type to let the dust build up...well....who knows.

I'm more upset about it cooking a bit I never had a problem with until the upgrade. Frustrating...that's all. But still, simply going back to 1.126 worked just fine for me and I'm.........again....lol
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 07-27-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

9. Default

I was not saying that you never check on the machine while it is running, but if you run a workshop for profit you are not going to stand at that machine all the while it carves! The machine can take hours for a carving. Unless you have nothing better to do, you are not going to sit by this machine.
    The Little Box Shop
    www.thelittleboxshop.com

Very true and I won't bore you with just how much "else" I have to do but like any other shop tool, prudence demands keeping an eye on things. Especially running things...lol.

As an official (and I think first) member of the 10+ carve club...lol, I did a 15 hour carve once so I know about the hours it takes for some projects. Still, every 15 minutes......Clean, Clean, Clean....lol
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast