Thread: FD plate

Default FD plate

I whipped this up this evening for potential carving tomorrow. I am still new at this so any advice would be appreciated - font recommendations, carving depths, etc. It looks good on designer, but I have found out that the way it looks on designer isn't always how it comes out due to carving depth - especially on text.

Thanks,

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

You might find this carves better.

I lowered all the letters to a depth of .25 instead of .125, they looked too high and would have chipped out probably. Also added a medium draft to the text.

Added a small draft to the emblem and changed bit optimization for it to best.

In fact if you have the spare wood is to put both on the same project and see the difference in the carving when you actually carve it.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Default FD plate

Look at this. I made changes to both front and back. When carving use your rotate tool and pan in to see how it will carve. When carving letters it really helps because when you use a font that carves thin rather than bold then it will more than likely chip out. And use the bit op as best, that helps as well. I also shortened the letters so that they won't chip. Just go back and compare what you had to what I changed it to and see for your self. There are a few more changes you could even make but start with this.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Have you seen this one? I picked it up on the Pattern Depot.

I add text to the inside area using a single stroke font like Modern and set the V60 carving depth to .090 in OUTLINE mode not Centerline since you are putting it in a carved region.

Others use Centerline Text by jogging to position for the bit checks.

NICE Plate.

AL

Here are some starter mpc's I put a 4 inch block on the right side of designer and use "Place on End" for all my projects. I have a PILE of 4 inch blocks that will soon become small signs.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks all.

I think I will carve all three and see the differences. I will try to get the Mrs. to take a picture of the three and post them tonight.

Steve