Thread: Taping Cedar Board for Painting Centerline

Default Taping Cedar Board for Painting Centerline

Last night, I took a beautiful piece of #1 Vertical Grain Western Red Cedar, then carefully taped the face with 3M Blue Painters Tape and began the centerline text routering.

The tape was frayed every which way- making it unfeasible to crisply paint the centerline lettering.

Can you please recommend the proper tape/overlay for this application?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cseidler View Post
    Last night, I took a beautiful piece of #1 Vertical Grain Western Red Cedar, then carefully taped the face with 3M Blue Painters Tape and began the centerline text routering.

The tape was frayed every which way- making it unfeasible to crisply paint the centerline lettering.

You will probably get several methods to accomplish your goal. Here is one method I've used successfully. After sanding the cedar down to 220 grit, spray a couple coats of laquer on the board then carve your project when the laquer is dry. Then spray your chosen color into the lettering. When that has dried thoroughly, run it through the planer or drum sander just enough to remove the overspray.

Good luck with your project and please post pics of the completed project.
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

I have had better luck with using a good quality contact paper, like you line drawers and cabinets with, instead of tape. It does friz some, but after painting it was not to hard to clean up the edges a bit.

You might also consider using a couple coats of sanding sealer in the carver text,
    to prevent any paint or stain you plan to color the text with,
    from bleeding color into the wood grain around the newly carved text.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Painting the text

Quote Originally Posted by cseidler View Post

I just carve the text, then paint the letters with acrylic paint which doesn't bleed into the grain and then sand off any that slopped onto the surface. Now in the case of cedar, Ken's suggestion of applying sanding sealer first might work better. Cedar is SO soft that even acrylic paints might bleed some.

An example...

1) Text Slopped 2) Text Sanded 3) Text finished 4) Paint Pen Option
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Text Slopped.jpg   Text Sanded.jpg   Text Finished.jpg   Text Paint Pens.jpg  

Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thumbs up

Excellent tutorial Chris! {Hmmm...off on yet another mission!} My lady needs to tighten my leash more! heehee

Audie
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve