Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first scan and I need help

Default My first scan and I need help

Attached is a copy of my first scan. It is a scan of a Fire mark that is made of cast iron. I have had this for about 20 years and found it in an antique store that had it listed as a lodge plaque. My problem is I had it hot glued to my sled and I used a tongue depressor to space the probe off of the sled so it never touched the sled. When you turn the image up on it's side there is all sorts of spikes. How do I get rid of the spikes. Thanks in advance for any help. Also for a little history this is the fire mark for Benjamin Franklins Fire Dept. The cast iron has a wood grain look to it , the original fire marks were wood and normally the items like the hands and numbers were cast iron. This one is all black with the hands and numbers being aged gold look.

firemark.ptn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firemark.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	13326
    Last edited by fyrpuppy; 06-27-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: More info and spelling correction (it was late when I typed it last night)
    Firefighters trained to save your butt not kiss it!

try "lowering" it when you import it into designer.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks, I thought that might lower the detail on the top instead of the back. Would that be lowering the depth or height?

I believe it does lower the height some. I compared yours to the one I lowered and it does not seem to make much difference. I am sure some of the pro's will jump in and explain it with more detail..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default firemark MPC

I made a MPC and it looks like a great PTN to me. Thanks for the PTN. great job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails firemark.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Default Ptn

You need a full one inch board to carve your PTN to the max depth and height

The PTN depth is.974 when I downloaded it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails firemark2.jpg   firemark2+.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrpuppy View Post
    Attached is a copy of my first scan. It is a scan of a Firemark that is made of cast iron. I have had tis for about 20 years and found it in an antique store that had it listed as a lodge plaque. My problem is I had it hot glued to my sled and I used a tongue depresser to space the probe of of the sled so it never touched the sled. When you turn the image up on it's side there is all sorts of spikes. How do I get rid of the spikes. Thanks in advance for any help. Also for a little history this is the firemark for Benjam Franklins Fire Dept.

firemark.ptn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firemark.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	13326
    Hi fyrpuppy,

When you import the pattern, click the "Floor Edges" check box. This forces the edges to a common height. The pictures below show you the before and after effects of doing this. Also, change the "Depth" of it to .375" Before saving it to you pattern library. I did and it looks great without having to carve it so deep. Of course you can change the depth in Designer as well but then you WILL loose some of the upper details.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firemark.jpg   Firemark 2.jpg  
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 06-27-2008 at 05:56 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Hello fyrpuppy,

Chris is correct about "Floor Edges" - however, you would normally use the "Round Edges Tool" to bring the outside edges of the scan down to the Zero plane (the floor) in the Pattern Editor after importing your raw scan (mpw). The tool's name implies that it will perform some sort of a "round-over", but that is not the case...it's function is simply to bring any "incomplete" outside edges all the way down to "zero". (I've already suggested a name change for that particular tool that will better represent its true purpose.)

Also, when the pattern is brought onto a layout in Designer, use of the Depth and Height tools can be used in concert to find a good balance of pattern detail vs. a reduced carve depth. If the Depth is lowered, you can try raising the Height. This will often bring back some detail.

The June Tips & Tricks will have some tips about scanning (late in its release, since I've been out of town so much lately)...then a follow-up article in the July Tips & Tricks will cover the features and functions of the latest version of the Pattern Editor software. Both Tips & Tricks issues might come in handy for folks who already use the scanning probe and for those who will be getting one in the future!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Thank You

I have really been needing tips on scanning.It all seems so simple when you Pros explain it. Thank You.
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys I didn't know about the floor edges option, I really appreciate the help. Is there a way to assign an automatic cutpath to this or will I have to do a manual one. I have gotten patterns from you guys off of here so maybe now I can begin to contribute back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast