Thread: drive blts and Y axis stall

Default drive blts and Y axis stall

Hey all!!
    This may have already been talked about and I just missed it but hear it goes again if it did. I was doing a large project "My first big one" and i got a Y axis error just before I got finished. it stopped the project completely and left me with three letters to do that did not get finished, OUCH!!!!!!
    When I removed my board the last letter that was done was all out of whack,
    and the belts look like they have moved to one side.
    ????? Did this cause the erroe ?? and can I adjust the belts my self.
    Please help.
    William Rossell
    (910)604-0841
    whr1900@yahoo.com

There are some GREAT downloads on carvewrights site that can help you adjust the belt and many other things check them out.
    If You Saw What We Sawed!!

North Bay Woodworking

If you don't want to make waves......get off of the boat!

Default Problems

WHR,

A picture or two would help determine what caused what.
    Sorry for the bad experience. I'll bet it can be salvaged though.

If the sandpaper belts crept to one side, my first thoughts would be board problems. Is the board straight?

Not sure about a Y axis problem when there was really problems in the X mechanisms. I have no ideas there - perhaps someone else has experience there.

As for my comment about salvaging it, there are solutions under the Search option about zero depth carve regions, and the screwed-up letter could be carved away and a piece of material glued in its place and re-carved when finishing the project. It has been done before!

Let us know what you find about the belts and cause of the error. The belts are easy to deal with, use the search option - good luck.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Question RE: Problems

Where on the carvewright site is the information on adjusting the drive belts. I have looked in the downloads, tutorials, and FAQs and have not found them.

I noticed today that my belts were starting to creep to one side and would like to get them adjusted before a problem occurs.

Thanks.

Scott
    --
    Ex astris, scientia

Y I have had my share of Y Axis problems.

First thing is to move the axis with no power on and does it move easily?

Sawdust in the belt and gear cogs?

The Screw on the right side facing down could be too loose. It holds the dust cover on the Cut Motor Wires and the return pulley for the Y Axis. Picture 2.

The Screw on the right only accessible with the right silver cover removed could be loose. It is spring loaded like on the top of the Z and keeps the Y belt tight.

One of the Y bearings could be frozen. I have one on machine 3 that is frozen.

A Z belt Dirty could cause it too by not picking up the head and the Y got out of sync.

I have already went thought my first Y Gear Box on my 800 hour machine. The shaft on the Y big plastic gear wore out the sleeve bearing. I swapped it with one from a bad motor.

Look at the area where the big plastic gear touches the black metal from the machine between the screws that hold the Y Motor in place. If the side of the plastic gear rubs the metal it causes problems. Look at the last picture and the threaded hole on top of the gear box and follow it down the the C Clip at the end of the shaft for the big plastic gear.... A drop of oil on that sleeve bearing will help it last longer.

Let us know what you found.

AL

If the sand paper belts creep you can remove them and FLIP them for a SHORT term fix but replacement is best.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-10-2008 at 08:01 PM.