Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the QC

Default Replacing the QC

I have ordered the new QC that I broke and I am trying to wait patiently for it. I only got about 5 minutes use on the CW before it broke. My question is, I am sure I need to remove the cutting truck to change the QC. Is there a trick to getting the screws lose. They are very tight and I am afraid of stripping them out.

Thanks,
    Joe

No! leave the truck alone
    The QC Chuck is removed from the machine while the carving head and Z truck remain in place.
    There are several posts and photos that will explain how to remove a damaged chuck.
    How do you change out the router quick Changer
    How do I (dis)assemble the Quick Change chuck?
    Last edited by Kenm810; 05-13-2008 at 07:34 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

After you have gone into a cussing fit trying to change the QC with the tools LHR sends you, send an e-mail to rjustice at CW_Parts@yahoo.com. He has developed tools that make the QC changing easier and sells them at a reasonable price. Also, remember to heat the chuck using a heat gun. Protect the plastic gears and rubber belts behind the chuck from too much heat.

The trick to changing the QC is the proper application of heat. I would suspect that most folks are afraid of getting things too hot. I would suggest using a heat gun for the job, most hair dryers will not be up to the task.

Point your heat gun so that it is at a slight downward angle directed at the top of the QC. Do not point it up towards the Z-truck. The goal is to heat the chuck NOT the spindle shaft.

With the heat gun about 4" away from the chuck, heat the chuck for about 20 seconds in the same spot. Turn the chuck about 1/4 turn, heat for about 10 more seconds and repeat until you have the whole chuck heated up evenly. Try to loosen the chuck, if it won't budge, apply heat and rotate for about another 30 seconds, and try again. keep heating and trying until you get it.

Remember that the part you are taking off, the chuck, is upside down! That means you need to turn it clockwise when looking at it from above (so if you could somehow fit your head between the truck and sandpaper belts you would see that the chuck was indeed turning CCW).
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Thanks all again for the help. I was sure the truck had to come off. I am afraid of putting too much side load on the assy when I go to remove the QC. I will be sure to use Jeff's tips on applying heat.

I was really surprised yesterday when I got home to find that my new QC was waiting for me. I also found out that the wrench is on backorder, so I have ordered the wrench kit from RJustice. Hopefully in just a few days I will be carving again.....wait, I mean carving for the first time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jossef View Post
    Thanks all again for the help. I was sure the truck had to come off. I am afraid of putting too much side load on the assy when I go to remove the QC. I will be sure to use Jeff's tips on applying heat.
    Joseff,
    Your concern with putting too much side load on the Z truck is a very valid concern. Your tools will arive tomorrow, and when you go to use them, you will find that the thin wrench will rest on the shelf on the machine by itself. You can then use both hands to loosen the square tool. You will use one hand to hold the square tool at the pivot point, and the other to apply pressure to the end of the boxed end wrench. By approaching it this way you really wont be applying much pressure to the Z truck or the guide bearings.
    This info is in the instructions sent in the package, but i thought it was worth sharing on the forum as well..

Good luck!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

I just now got the wrench and square drive. I have read the instructions. I want to make sure I understand them completly. It says to turn the wrench counter clockwise. That seems opposite to me. To make sure I understand, do I move the wrench from the keypad side to the other side or towards the keypad side?

Jossef,

The treads on the shaft are reverse from a standard. Left handed vs. right handed as Jeff has stated:

Remember that the part you are taking off, the chuck, is upside down! That means you need to turn it clockwise when looking at it from above (so if you could somehow fit your head between the truck and sandpaper belts you would see that the chuck was indeed turning CCW).__________________
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Jossef

It is a common right hand thread. Heat the chuck with a hair dryer. Trap the 7/8" wrench so it does not rotate. Handle should face of machine toward the keypad. Rotate the square end drive tool counter-wise.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast