Thread: Prospective buyer

Default Prospective buyer

I have been reading the forum with much interest for the past week or so. As my primary use would be generally for a hobby, I'm not certain that the cost, maintenance, and down time is worth the seemingly unreliable nature of the machine. It does open up the possibilities for some great projects as I've seen in the gallery. The plus side is that everyone on the forum seems to bend over backwards to help each other and share information. My income is not so disposable as to be able to frequently replace parts and have repair work done, although I am mechanically inclined.
    After reading about all the problems with Sears service, that wouldn't even be an option.
    I'm still having trouble gauging the overall reliability of the machine. I'm sure not everyone has as many problems as others. Are the newer machines any more reliable than the older first generations? I'd really hate to spend $22-2500 for a package deal that becomes a source of frustration and nightmare.
    Does anyone else share these concerns?

I was the same way, was worried about the machie and down time and so forth. But i ended up spending the money and went ahead a bought one, since then i have no problems, talk to Jason Allen (309-968-WOOD (9663) and we will let you know.I got mine in march and have over 50 hrs on it and love it. just get to know the software and keep the machine clean after every carve i since have a downdraft table and a little air compressor hooked up and so problems. oh ya read and reread teh manual for maintence and do it just dont say oh i will get to it.....
    if you need to see one run i am in wisconsin close to green bay or just asked here and hopefully someone will let you se it...

The forum is not a good guage on the reliability of the machines. Those that have major problems, obviously post about them. Those that haven't had problems, obviously have no gripes to post about. I'm one of the latter that have two machines and have only had operator induced problems. They do require some TLC but any electronic item used in a dusty, hot, (did I say dusty?) shop environment would need the same.