Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: not-so-quick chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    You don't want to heat the threads (spindle shaft), you want to heat the chuck. You need to heat the chuck evenly all the way around.
    Not directly on the threads...I heated the chuck.

I tried again last night....no luck

I tried the acetone(100%)...no luck
    I tried more heat again with no luck. I'm kind of at a loss here. I've used heat before on lock-tite with no problems.(on my old buick)
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm almost ready to cut the chuck off with a dremel. Any more Ideas before I try that?
    If it ain't broke, I'm not done with it....

Default Extra leverage....

I've had to change mine twice, and it took a few extra bowls of Wheaties to get the job done. I had the tools from CarveWright.

1) After several days of attempting and failing to break the threads loose, and emails to CW, and reading these posts, I recruited help.

2) Used a hair dryer on high for about 10 minutes aimed directly at the QC.

3) Used a 2 foot pipe on the flat wrench.

4) Had my 24 year old son hold a 2 foot foot pipe on the allen wrench.

5) Strained, pulled, clenched, and pulled some more.........

6) It broke loose!

7) The second time wasn't as bad, since when I replaced the first QC, I applied just 3 drops of Lok-Tite, which is plenty to lock the threads.

Moral of the story: keep trying and get help if needed, a box of Wheaties and or a can or two of spinach.

I just called Tech support....same answers more heat and more torque

I'm worried about melting something that I shouldn't. Without any extensions, I'm breaking the tools. More torque will just make it easier to break the tools. (sorry, I'm not trying to be a smartass)

I'll keep trying....I think I'm going to be buying the Z-truck next. ~$80
    I don't know what else to do.

sxemike,

Just wondering how old is your machine, I didn't notice if you mentioned when you bought it, If you got it from LHR, Sears or one of the other CW Dealers and your under 200 hours of carving time or 1 year old. You normally would still be covered by LHR's factory warranty the covers shipping both ways plus parts and labor. After all if anything does break Tech support is suggesting more heat and more torque
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Sadly....I got it off ebay. ebay=no warranty.

I've only had it a month or 2 and it has less than 10.

On the plus side I can put $800 into it and still come out ahead of what I would have paid at sears or LHR.
    Last edited by sxemike; 04-30-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typos

Default Last Try

I cut the plastic piece off so I wouldn't melt it. Then heated the chuck. Then tried the LHR suggested method:

LHR:
    "maybe you could like hold the wrench and like put the square tool in one of those things like a ratchet you know?"

Me:
    "A breaker bar?

LHR:
    "yea and then like hit it with like a rubber mallet"

Me:
    "so if this doesn't work, would I have to replace the whole Z-pack?"

LHR:
    "yea you could do that"

I broke 2 more square bit last night. I'm almost convinced that someone welded the QC on there.(not really)

I think I'm just going to buy a whole new Z-pack.... I'll call LHR again and see what they suggest.

Make sure you are turning it the right way. Holding the top the bottom spins right to left.... Just like a router chuck... Just had to say that because "I" got confused the first time. Remove the top hat on the spindle with the 2 screws if you haven't to get better access.

Someone suggested "Acetone" on the threads. Nail Polish remover.... Cover your sand paper belts and don't get any on the Z belts. Use a glass eye dropper to put some on the top of the QC.

Bet the first owner used RED thread lock....

The first generation of RJustice square drive sometimes broke like the one I had. Someone said the Square Drive is a #3 at Home Depot... Never looked....

Rjustice makes a great wrench and square drive set making it EASY.

Try directing the hot air up the inside of the QC with a piece of metal. PROTECT the Z Belt from heat.... I melted one.....

All the things "I" did WRONG helping others..... To Error is Human..... Telling everyone your ERROR.... Well that is DUMB.... Unless they can learn from your mistakes.... LOL....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-05-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Unhappy LHR paying shipping??? NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    sxemike,

Just wondering how old is your machine, I didn't notice if you mentioned when you bought it, If you got it from LHR, Sears or one of the other CW Dealers and your under 200 hours of carving time or 1 year old. You normally would still be covered by LHR's factory warranty the covers shipping both ways plus parts and labor. After all if anything does break Tech support is suggesting more heat and more torque
    Just so you know, I sent my machine back yesterday, 160hrs and only five months old and LHR would NOT pay for the shipping. "Policy changes". The first trip back they did pay shipping, not this time.

As far as getting a stuck QC off, I spent a couple of hours with the heat gun and wrenchs. After twisting off two ground down allen wrenches, and having the QC outside shell melt, I gave up and removed the Z truck. Then I pressed out the QC shaft, cut off the old QC, cleaned up the threads a bit, and then reinstalled everything.

Unfortunately, the "New" QC I installed had something wrong with it, it never did load a bit properly. The cocking collar wouldn't go all the way up. It finally came apart, scattering itself all over the inside of my machine.
    Last edited by SAA3840; 11-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAA3840 View Post
    Just so you know, I sent my machine back yesterday, 160hrs and only five months old and LHR would NOT pay for the shipping. "Policy changes". The first trip back they did pay shipping, not this time.

As far as getting a stuck QC off, I spent a couple of hours with the heat gun and wrenchs. After twisting off two ground down allen wrenches, and having the QC outside shell melt, I gave up and removed the Z truck. Then I pressed out the QC shaft, cut off the old QC, cleaned up the threads a bit, and then reinstalled everything.

Unfortunately, the "New" QC I installed had something wrong with it, it never did load a bit properly. The cocking collar wouldn't go all the way up. It finally came apart, scattering itself all over the inside of my machine.
    I have to ask, did you lube the new QC before using it?
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

i should be getting the my new qc and z-truck roller rod , cam roller wrench-adjrollersand the tools to do it before i put the new qc on do i lube it a little with 3and 1 oil? . on another note i cant say enuff how great every one is on here . all have a good day

version-1.175 Desk Top
    version-1.176 Lap Top

Help ! I can't tell where I am . Its's dark and I can hear laughing .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast