Thread: Currently Doing Inlays??

1. Default Currently Doing Inlays??

I would like to talk to anyone that is currently making inlays, I have the opportunity to do some work for a local flooring company.

I have some work done already, but would be interested to find out what other people are doing.

A Laser Engraver would be better suited to inlay work. The rounded corners of the bits shoot you in the foot.....

AL

3. Default But..

I don't have the $40,000 dollars to go and spend right at the moment. I understand we will naver be doing small inlay work. We were more interested in Larger pieces with little detail, Like a carved corner bracket carved in maple and inlayed into a piece of say red oak.

Default You don't need anything too fancy

Hey,

I have done some successful inlay work with the CW, but it was fussy.

It usually takes me a few sample runs with scrap to get the sizes just right, and even then I end up having to do a bit of hand sanding. Still easier than cutting everything by hand like I used to and once it is "dialed in", you can make a bunch of them.

The cutting involves two different sleds, one for the wood to receive the inlay and one for the inlay pieces. The pieces are usually about 1/16 thick and I will put them on a sled with some double-sided (wood turner's) tape to hold it down. Then just route a path deep enough to cut it out. Getting it off of the tape is sometimes a challenge 'though.

Bill

You don't need 40K. Just go to an engraver and see if they'll run the pieces for you.

I picked up a used laser for 8K several years ago and it is definitely the way to go. I've seen new ones at wood working shows for less and they have more power than mine.

When you get ready give me a shout and we'll talk about tips and techniques.

First hint, does it need to be an inlay or can you do a full overlay? For instance, can you use MDF as a base and put a veneer over it with the holes cut out then fill in the holes with your inlay pieces? If so, that saves a lot of time. Even using oak as a base and using an oak veneer overlay gives excellent results.

6. Default Inlays

It has to be birch ply backing but the inlay has to be 1/4 of an inch thick.

Will be used on a Hardwod floor.