Thread: Edge Routing

Default Edge Routing

Have not tried this yet as I've done my carving and then taking the project to my router table and applied edge designs to it.

But if I were to use a roman ogee bit for example, how does it rout next to the top edge, the roller? Does this process require a carrier board or what?

Jarrbitt

It is safe to edge route as long as the bit does not penetrate complete through your carving board.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Jerbitt
    Just my opinion but I would stick with the router table. I know the machine will do it but you can do it a lot faster in the router table. Also it takes out the machine error factor. I.E. if it missed measured the board slightly it will place the bit either too close or to far from an edge. Or other things that could go wrong. As far as a sled depending on the thickness you should not need one. The machine is designed to do it. You will however have to put stands if by the machine if the board is too long. To accomodate the weight hanging out in space.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

I agree with Joe 100%. You can edge route with the CW but it is really a slow process as the CW only cuts about 1/16" deep on each pass.

Save the CW for carving and use your portable or table router for the edges.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Default I Like It

I will venture another opinion. I just love edge routing with the CW.

Regarding speed ... The time to edge rout is quite minimal compared to any carving time. In addition, the set up is much faster and easier than with a table router, considering the time to change bits and adjust bit/fence.

I also find that the CW can do a much more precise job, with less chance of chip out or burning. And it does a dandy job of routing all four sides of a project, with no problem (as long as it is not on a sled).

Just my 2¢.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EdgeRouting.jpg